Just bought ALLEN HEATH DB2 - advise needed for noob!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Just bought ALLEN HEATH DB2 - advise needed for noob!

My DB2 is awesome I'm currently using it alongside my CDJ 1000mk3s however I am looking at selling these and wanting to start to utilise traktor. However I have never used any kind of software in my dj setup. I love the idea of having all my music in front of me in a clear interface and all I need is my mixer and laptop.

However as I'm a total noob to software side of things I want to know the following:

Can I use traktor to simply replace my cd decks and retain all of the on board effects, tri modal eq and functionality of my mix? Can traktor be used simply to access and play songs as opposed to a cdj or will I loose the essence of my mixer and be forced to use software effects etc (I don't want that as its waste of mixer over £1k when a cheap controller can do the same).

I just want an easy way to replace my cd decks, I have considered going for a set of cdj2000 and record box which I could have as a library database however would still be stuck with large cd players, and for the cost £3k+ I could get traktor 2 and a MacBook pro. No need for sound card as the db2 has it's own right?

Please advise

Yes you can just run traktor through the db2 soundcard and use the db2 mixer and fxs. You will probably want some sort of controller in addition to the db2 for cueing and playing tracks (x1 or you can hook a k2 in).

You may find you don't like mixing on software- a lot of people go down that route and end up going back to cdj-2ks and couldn't be happier. Traktor is great but I find syncing tracks boring and it takes a bit of the fun out of djing. I would much rather use two CDJ2000s and my db4 than use traktor and controllers like I do now but I don't feel like spending the money on a pair.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Yes you can just run traktor through the db2 soundcard and use the db2 mixer and fxs. You will probably want some sort of controller in addition to the db2 for cueing and playing tracks (x1 or you can hook a k2 in).

You may find you don't like mixing on software- a lot of people go down that route and end up going back to cdj-2ks and couldn't be happier. Traktor is great but I find syncing tracks boring and it takes a bit of the fun out of djing. I would much rather use two CDJ2000s and my db4 than use traktor and controllers like I do now but I don't feel like spending the money on a pair.
    I used to own a set of 2000s and djm800 2 years ago but sold up as didn't have time to use them (wish i kept the 2000s). I can't bring myself to buy another pair as they more now than when i bought them previously, and having being spoilt using the 2ks I don't want any other type of CDJ. They are very expensive for me as a hobby and therefore I think the traktor, laptop and controller will be my best option.

Some people have said that the Db2 mixer is wasted if its only used for traktor and should be used as it was made for (between two decks) what are your thoughts on this?

Will any functions on mixer be rendered useless if i use traktor as the sound source as opposed to CDjs?

Also if you had a DB2 and £1000 to spend, what would your setup be?

cheers

send it over here we'll show you how to thrash it
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

keep the cdjs and try the db2 with traktor and if you dont like it you can always go back to the cdjs!
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Tech Wizard

What would you recommend in terms of traktor version, 2? Also what's the minimum spec laptop I need?

Tech Wizard

would something like this be ok?

HP Pavilion g6-1384ea 15.6"
    Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.5 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Memory: 6GB
    Hard drive: 750GB

Get a macbook and an x1 an never look back.

You map the x1 for manual beatmatching...

That's a dark set up.

Behringer are bringing out some modular platter things out that look decent.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    I
    Some people have said that the Db2 mixer is wasted if its only used for traktor and should be used as it was made for (between two decks) what are your thoughts on this?
    They don't know what they're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    Will any functions on mixer be rendered useless if i use traktor as the sound source as opposed to CDjs?
    The mixer doesn't know if the sound is coming from a CDJ or you computer. No mixer functions are lost when using just Traktor.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

anyone else have anymore feedback on this mixer? I'm really leaning towards trading in the DJM800 and grabbing one of these, but can't really seem to find enough "real-world" info on it. Everything online is basically reviews from websites that got one for free, My biggest drawback would be I'd have to start renting or borrowing a DJM everytime we hired a "headliner" since it is on 90% of dj riders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast