A new - old guy. Sort of....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default A new - old guy. Sort of....

Hey DTT forum,
    Name's Packrat, or Rat for short.
    I'll nutshell this to make it quick. Started DJing in the late 90's w vinyl, quickly went digi/vinyl hybrid around 99. (Things were very...very different then...)
    Did some events in the north east, for a few years, then everything kinda collapsed where I am originally from, and I walked away from DJing in '05.
    Last year was asked to DJ at a regional burn, reluctantly said yes, and got sucked back in. There are soooo many new things since I stopped producing/spinning, and now that I've jumped back in with both feet, I am uh...spinning a little myself.

There was not this much stuff back in the day, I started using Acid, around version 2.0 produced a couple little ep's (only one of which remains alive in digi due to a hard drive crash).

So I started production again, primarily working in LMMS (yeah im an open source kinda guy, though i am not totally opposed to Closed Source applications). I have done several large parties since my return, and it's been going well, but I feel a bit stagnant, and want to push things a bit. However, with so many new options, products, and costs...i could really use some help/insight.

Current rig is this:
    WinXP64 bit, running traktor pro 3.4 w/RMX300 as well as Mixxx.

nice to meet you all in advance.
    Rat

3.4. Best Traktor ever

Welcome to the nut farm mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Welcome! We have long awaited your return, and now graciously accept you into our ranks.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys :-D it's definitely been fun coming back and seeing all the crazy stuff that's been made. I have tons and tons of questions...basically my rig back in the early '00's was 2 turn tables / two computers, then went to two cd decks / two computers. (after the dumbsh!t i was wearing on my wrists tore the arm off my Technics... i was not a happy camper.... -_-)
    Rat

Tech Convert

I do enjoy Traktor 3.4 but I have a launchpad acquired from a friend and I wanted to use it to control effects as the RMX has run out of buttons...but the one i want from "The List" only comes in .tsi and traktor throws a fit if you try to use it. It makes me a sad panda. that...and Im not really that good with the whole midi mapping thing yet...
    Rat

i wrote a pretty complete multi page launchpad mapping for mixxx 1.11 tho ofc effects is one area where mixxx isn't too hot yet. i'm currently routing it's audio into ableton - tho you could just route it into a vst host and a bunch of plugins using jack. i doubt many people are using the old traktor 3.4.1 any more - tho i am myself using an old copy of ableton live5 as i don't fancy paying to upgrade it yet
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

What are the differences btwn the 2.x and the 3.4.x ? (I haven't tried out 2.x yet).
    Rat

3.4.x will be the dj studio line of traktor before they released it as traktor pro. 3.4.x is a fair few years old now i guess. looks like (according to good old wikipedia) that traktor pro 1 was released in 2008, so presume 3.4.1 was at the same time as the final fix version for the old traktor 3.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    3.4.x will be the dj studio line of traktor before they released it as traktor pro. 3.4.x is a fair few years old now i guess. looks like (according to good old wikipedia) that traktor pro 1 was released in 2008, so presume 3.4.1 was at the same time as the final fix version for the old traktor 3.
    one of my buddies told me to use it, and while i do like it...finding support for mappings n such is rough...ill have to try out your mixxx/launchpad map :-D

Rat

cool make sure you use the mixxx 1.11 beta. there's also daily builds if u were adventurous and are basically what i use, just that i build from source here.

here's my mixxx launchpad mapping. this reminds me i haven't written a wiki page for the mapping yet - i need to do that...

if you have any ideas/suggestions then let me know. it supports multiple pages with full led recall on page switching. so far i've just made a main page for deck control and when u press the "mixer" toggle you get an ableton style virtual set of mixer controls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast