launchpad as mixer
    Tech Convert

Default launchpad as mixer

hello, I have an X1 and a launchpad and wanted to know if there is a mapping for the launchpad to be used as a mixer.
    thank you
    Frenchie.
    PS: I use traktor

Depends what you are looking for as a mixer this has almost everything - but a little crowded for me

Click here

Tech Convert

pardon my noobness but what is a max app?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    pardon my noobness but what is a max app?
    an app written using the visual programming interface thingy from these guys.... http://cycling74.com/whatismax/

i wrote a multi page config using my midimasher that has a mixer with virtual faders on one page ala ableton. levels+eq+kills. the main page has all the usual transport/hotcues/loops/etc with the bottom 3 rows broken into 2 halves in a "twitch" style
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

I can only guess you want to use the launchpad as a mixer because you want to save some money???

Because even though you (somehow) can use it as a mixer, it really is a sub-optimal solution.

There is a reason, why even after many way of controlling your DJ gead have changed drastically (think touch strips, arcade buttons,...) one thing still hasn't changed a bit: knobs and faders. You just can't emulate the functionality of those two with any other from of controller (well, maybe touch strips for faders, but they still lack the same tactile feel..).

I guess you allready have a soundcard that offers at least two stereo-channels, so your best option would be to get a cheap (if money really is the issue) two channel mixer and work with that. You can still upgrade later to an option that better suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    I can only guess you want to use the launchpad as a mixer because you want to save some money???
    it also makes for a very portable all-in-one controller that gives you heaps of controls... it's nothing like as good as having a pot or fader to play about with but for a lot of the time having 7 different levels (+ off) is enough for eq and even the volume faders tho u do have to get a bit more creative and try to change the levels in sync with the beat so it doesn't sound at all obvious
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

I'd just remap the FX section of the X1 for mixer usage, way more usable imho (and even more portable)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    I'd just remap the FX section of the X1 for mixer usage, way more usable imho (and even more portable)
    I need the FX section so that isn't an option.
    I just realized that al I need is EQ and Xfader nothing else. Anywhere where I can find something like that?

Can the Launchpad be mapped so when a button is used for a fader control, ie. Volume or filter, that it doesnt jump up/down in increments. So maybe hold a shift key down then volume up and it'll glide up slowly?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Moo View Post
    Can the Launchpad be mapped so when a button is used for a fader control, ie. Volume or filter, that it doesnt jump up/down in increments. So maybe hold a shift key down then volume up and it'll glide up slowly?!
    yep - you could map that behaviour in both mixxx and traktor and i'm sure vdj