Here we go...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Here we go...

  1. #1

    Default Here we go...

    Okay guys, so I've been seriously looking to upgrade to either a Kontrol s2 + x1 or f1, or a Kontrol s4. Now the reason I'm conflicted is because I feel the s2 looks a lot more like a toy than the s4, but I believe I'll be able to do much more with the s2 combo. Now before the attacks start, I want to remind you that this IS NOT a S2 vs S4 thread. I've done research on both of them and am well aware of their limitations and advantages. I would just like to know which one you guys feel would be a better long term option. I'm a mobile DJ doing mostly house parties spinning electro house and some progressive house. I also would not want to look like I'm using a toy (s2) at my gigs. So... Should I go for an all in one solution with a more professional look or a less professional look with more functionality?
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

  2. #2
    Tech Guru dope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    571

    Default

    S2 and S4 are both toy looking imo.
    Therefore if i were you i'd go with X1 + S2.

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor DJ Abide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    430

    Default

    The actual construction and material build of the two are almost identical. It's a simple answer really because there are only TWO real downfalls of the S2 when compared to the S4.

    Are you ever going to add/use a turntable or CDJ to your set-up? (Even though Traktor still has to be running to get audio through the S4, i.e. not a standalone mixer)

    or

    Do you plan on recording your own vocals or beat-boxing and using them in the mix? The S2's soundcard does not allow this.



    Other than that every feature the S4 has can be mapped to the S2 up to and including Loop Recorder and complete 4 deck control.


    IMO the extra bells and whistles on the S4 do not appear anymore "professional" than the non-cluttered elegance and complete functionality of the S2. I'd like a S4 because I would like to get a 1200, QFO, or CDJ-900 to toy around with. But as for actually using them to gig with I think the S2 and F1 is a far superior combo, especially considering you could get both for under $500 if you hustle.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    The actual construction and material build of the two are almost identical. It's a simple answer really because there are only TWO real downfalls of the S2 when compared to the S4.

    Are you ever going to add/use a turntable or CDJ to your set-up? (Even though Traktor still has to be running to get audio through the S4, i.e. not a standalone mixer)

    or

    Do you plan on recording your own vocals or beat-boxing and using them in the mix? The S2's soundcard does not allow this.



    Other than that every feature the S4 has can be mapped to the S2 up to and including Loop Recorder and complete 4 deck control.


    IMO the extra bells and whistles on the S4 do not appear anymore "professional" than the non-cluttered elegance and complete functionality of the S2. I'd like a S4 because I would like to get a 1200, QFO, or CDJ-900 to toy around with. But as for actually using them to gig with I think the S2 and F1 is a far superior combo, especially considering you could get both for under $500 if you hustle.

    Good points. But there are also some things i like more about the s4 including the led loop recorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor DJ Abide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Trivial at best. I have/had Loop Recorder controls on my S2 and could make some form of LED feedback. I had mapped my Sample Deck on/off to be done with a modifier, then included that modifier in complete controls over C&D including EQ, Tempo, and Volume Faders instead of the "supplied" combined volume knob (now Loop Recorder Dry/Wet)
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    Trivial at best. I have/had Loop Recorder controls on my S2 and could make some form of LED feedback. I had mapped my Sample Deck on/off to be done with a modifier, then included that modifier in complete controls over C&D including EQ, Tempo, and Volume Faders instead of the "supplied" combined volume knob (now Loop Recorder Dry/Wet)
    I'm a sucker for some little things like that. But you made another good point. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I've had the S2 since it's release. I have plenty of friends who have the S4 and though I do like the S4. I'm not a big 4 channel guy ( personal preference ). The most i'll ever use is 3 track channels and One Remix Deck! I use the S2 along side X1 & F1....for what i like to call THE ULTIMATE "K"ontrol lol

    IMO: Go S2, its way cheaper! Smaller! And can practically do "almost" everything the S4 does!
    CHECK OUT MY SOUNDCLOUD BRUH!!!: http://soundcloud.com/fabiioofficial
    Be sure to take a listen to my newest tracks
    15' Macbook Pro l Traktor Scratch Pro 2 Kontrol Z2 l Kontrol D2's l Pioneer PLX 1000's l

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabiio View Post
    I've had the S2 since it's release. I have plenty of friends who have the S4 and though I do like the S4. I'm not a big 4 channel guy ( personal preference ). The most i'll ever use is 3 track channels and One Remix Deck! I use the S2 along side X1 & F1....for what i like to call THE ULTIMATE "K"ontrol lol

    IMO: Go S2, its way cheaper! Smaller! And can practically do "almost" everything the S4 does!
    If you say so! Think I made my decision!
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

  9. #9

    Default

    I have an S2+F1, and love it. Just get Beaubryte's map for the S2! The only thing I want on the S2 is the loop count display, so I don't have to look at the screen for that, but it's not an issue.

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor Maven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, USA
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    S2 and S4 are both toy looking imo.
    Therefore if i were you i'd go with X1 + S2.
    for a controller, Numark NS7 or NS6 are the ones that look close to professional gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •