Getting Remix Decks to Act Like Drum Machine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Getting Remix Decks to Act Like Drum Machine?

Just got my s4, and am pretty stoked with it! One question though, I'm looking to be able to drum with my remix decks, but even with one shot samples I'm not able to drum freely. The samples get paused, or seem to play in sync with the master tempo. Either way, they don't respond automatically when repeatedly pressed. Can someone point me in the direction of how to change this? I've had a fiddle with the preferences, but haven't had any success so far.

Tech Wizard

You are going to have the problem of it syncing regardless because Traktor wants to treat it like a sample (which you want to have synced). Even worse is that right now there is not support for triggering all of the samples with any controllers but the midi fighter pro (soon the classic too) and Kontrol F1.

So I would say for right now if you really need the ability to run a drum machine while djing, you should run ableton or logic at the same time as traktor. This may not be the feel you are looking for, but until mapping of each slot is supported by more controllers (I think it is a firmware issue) I don't think you can get a drum machine going (as you only have access to 4 slots by controller trigger).

I would be over joyed if someone told me I am wrong... but this is the current state of affairs to the best of my knowledge.

Tech Student

I think it's the syncing that I'm having a problem with, although I noticed today that I can launch my one shots whenever the light below the sample button on the s4 is off (Like the button on the far right in this pic http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-cont...-and-loops.png). Once I launch it, however, the light below lights up, and when I push it again, instead of playing the sample, all it does is make the light go off again, which means I can launch the one shot again. Essentially it requires two button pushes to launch one oneshot.
    If it is designed this way, it is an odd way to do it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tech Wizard

Hi there,

Yes I agree it is a bit of an odd way for it to work but you have to bear in mind that it is for samples, not for smashing out a drum solo it just appears that is how it is with the sample decks, I'm not sure if there are any mappings or settings you could change to get round this.

One way you could potentially get round this is to reduce the silence at the end of your drum sample to nothing that way when a oneshot is finished firing it will stop that sample and the next time you press it should be from the start (I think that is how it works, I'm sat at work and can't really remember). However, this may not be great as you still have to wait for the sample to stop firing which if you are creating a solo may not work well.

Another way you could get your drums to work how you want is to create one track with all your drum sounds on and add cue points for each drum sound. Once you've pressed play you can just juggle between them. However this may not respond exactly how you wish either as it means only one drum sound can be played at a time, what I mean is you couldn't trigger a snare and cymbal simultaneously unless you've recorded that already. Maybe you could use both decks C and D for this to give yourself a few more options.

Hope this is helpful. Like I said there may be some mappings or settings you can change to get it to respond how you want.

Tech Wizard

Oh and if you go down the second route I suggested the Loop Recorder may help you with getting everything into one track (as long as it isn't more than 32 beats)

Tech Student

Yeah, i was thinking to just knock up a track with my samples and cue point juggle, cheers for the response

Tech Convert

You can't do as Jink described at all on any piece of hardware? The F1 can't trigger them as described?

Banned

yes it can, you just have to set the sample as a one-shot and turn off latch. If you're having trouble getting it right, try downloading that guitar solo set that talentless hack is using in one of the promo videos. WHen are NI gonna get some profiled dj's to do promos instead of these these no-name pop "dj's".

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by snoemu5a View Post
    yes it can, you just have to set the sample as a one-shot and turn off latch. If you're having trouble getting it right, try downloading that guitar solo set that talentless hack is using in one of the promo videos. WHen are NI gonna get some profiled dj's to do promos instead of these these no-name pop "dj's".
    Did you really just call Moldover a "talentless hack" ?

/mindboggles

Banned

Most definitely. And I stand by that statement. Also his curls make him look like a punching bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast