Any users of Logic Pro...need some input.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor DirtyNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    347

    Default Any users of Logic Pro...need some input.

    Any users of Logic Pro out there? I am interested in your thoughts. I am taking a look at it and wondering if it is worth acquiring. I am on a Mac and I mainly use Ableton Live (suite) for production and Traktor for DJing. But honestly, sometimes I find Ableton to be a little too heavyweight for me. I almost kind of want something a little "simpler/cleaner". GarageBand doesn't have enough, hence me looking at Logic Pro.


    I am especially interested in anyone who uses/has used both Ableton and Logic Pro to give pros-cons of one vs. the other.

    Thanks
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor seitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    430

    Default

    if you want something less heavyweight logic is not the way to go....

  3. #3
    Tech Guru djproben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Logic Pro can be "simpler and cleaner" than Ableton but certainly not "less heavyweight".. but these are all subjective terms. What is it you don't like about the Ableton workflow? I've used both but very little so can only give you a superficial response but there are folks here who can give you better info if you're more specific about what you're hoping to achieve.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor DirtyNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Actually, I like the Ableton workflow...but....sometimes it just feels a little overwhelming...too many options, too many things features that I don't use, but somehow I feel guilted into trying to use them...it's like Ableton is my grandmother giving me a guilt trip!
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor Maven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, USA
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Logic is clean and simple but again, everytime you start using a new daw, you will be acting like you have no idea about music production until you figure it out, it might take a week to two weeks to figure it out fully but again you can just sit down and read through the manual and you will be good to go.

    Also I want to tell you that if you feel like you will do things with Logic that you can not do right with ableton right now. You are going to be disappointed because it is never the DAW but you who is producing.

  6. #6
    Tech Mentor DirtyNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Also I want to tell you that if you feel like you will do things with Logic that you can not do right with ableton right now. You are going to be disappointed because it is never the DAW but you who is producing.
    No, I don't feel like there is something I can't do with Ableton...I've been using it for over a year now and like the workflow (mostly). I actually have developed (over a few months) a template that works pretty well for what I like to do. It is just that there is so much other "stuff" there that every once in a while I think, "maybe I should really be using some of these effects and instruments and racks and plugins and....oh f*%k it...I'm doing everything in Audacity from now on...."
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor Maven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, USA
    Posts
    172

    Default

    That sounds like you have way too many effects, instruments and plugins that are doing the same job. My suggestions would be to limit your plugins and effects you use. If you have 10 synthesizer, pretty much doing the same thing, 20 diff reverb/delay etc. That might cause you problem to over thing of using stuff.

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor DirtyNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    That sounds like you have way too many effects, instruments and plugins that are doing the same job. My suggestions would be to limit your plugins and effects you use. If you have 10 synthesizer, pretty much doing the same thing, 20 diff reverb/delay etc. That might cause you problem to over thing of using stuff.
    That's the thing, I can't help but have that many things...they all came with Ableton. I downloaded a plugins, but I don't really use them. Its just all the presets to the basic effects etc. in Ableton are just overwhelming. In the Ableton Instrument Rack, there are 23 different presets just for the Reverb! That gets quite distracting and sometimes I just want to say forget it.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor seitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyNerd View Post
    That's the thing, I can't help but have that many things...they all came with Ableton. I downloaded a plugins, but I don't really use them. Its just all the presets to the basic effects etc. in Ableton are just overwhelming. In the Ableton Instrument Rack, there are 23 different presets just for the Reverb! That gets quite distracting and sometimes I just want to say forget it.
    logic has just as many effects as ableton

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor DirtyNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    logic has just as many effects as ableton
    I guess I kind of knew that intrinsically. But was somehow hoping that there was something else that would resolve my Ableton frustrations. But I know that if I were using it, that there would be a whole new set of frustrations with Logic. The grass is always greener....

    I guess in the end, this turned out to be more of a public venting than any real effort to try something else...
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •