Watching the olympics without cable/satellite tv?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Watching the olympics without cable/satellite tv?

I love watching the Olympics, but this will be the first one where i don't have cable or satellite tv. Does anyone know how to watch these online?

I know that BBC will be streaming all of the events live on their website, but the live streaming is only available for UK users. I tried using a uk based proxy for the BBC website, but i can't seem to be able to get video or audio to work, so i think proxies will be useless. I've tried looking into vpn services, but i have no clue how they work, so i don't know about that either.

I'm certainly willing to pay to be able to watch, so long as its not more than like $50

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    no, but with anything from nbc, you have to sign in with your registration # from a cable/satellite provider

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    I love watching the Olympics, but this will be the first one where i don't have cable or satellite tv. Does anyone know how to watch these online?

I know that BBC will be streaming all of the events live on their website, but the live streaming is only available for UK users. I tried using a uk based proxy for the BBC website, but i can't seem to be able to get video or audio to work, so i think proxies will be useless. I've tried looking into vpn services, but i have no clue how they work, so i don't know about that either.

I'm certainly willing to pay to be able to watch, so long as its not more than like $50
    That's terrible you have to pay to watch the Olympics, you have my sympathy, hope you manage to find a way through. I know in the UK we complain about Sky monopolising sports and taking them to subscription based TV (I don't subscribe) but some sporting occasions are protected for free to air, one of which is the Olympics. The BBC are currently running 24 Olympic HD channels along side the usual BBC channels which as you say are all online as well. Have you tried the BBC Olympics app, it also has access to the same streams however I guess the same problem will exist?

As an aside, it's absolutely buzzing over here now, there are some detractors of course. And the Summer has turned up as well.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

anyone know any way I can stream it on a western digital tv?

Tech Guru

I'm afraid I can't help Xone, personally I think it's bang out of order for sporting occasions such as the Olympics to be subscription based, should be free all the way. If you can get a working UK proxy, you'll be sorted, 26 HD channels from the BBC running day/night covering all sports. Please tell me the opening ceremony was free to air?!
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

i'm not watching the olympics but i've had a vpn account with http://strongvpn.com/ for a few years now that it very handy when out of the uk. pretty cheap and i've never had any reason to look for another service. you can even change the type of vpn and where in the uk your ip address is from.

edit: i have it setup on my mac and linux laptops atm but have also used it from windows7. pretty easy to setup from any of them.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

nbc is broadcasting over the air for free

Fuck NBC. Horrific coverage.

Found a way to stream everything from the BBC using a VPN

on windows it is free, follow these directions:

On mac I just paid $6.95 for a 1 month vpn subscription here: www.privateinternetaccess.com/

gives you a UK IP (once you install it go to advanced settings and choose your region to UK)
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 07-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.

here in australia it's all free and in 1080i full HD. sucks how sky and nbc would make you guys pay to watch it
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast