Recording my DB4 mix
    Tech Convert

Default Recording my DB4 mix

Hi

I posted on the Traktor section with this query a few days ago and had no response so I'm hoping someone can help me out here instead.

In a nutshell I want to record a mix off my DB4. I use a simple set-up 2xCDJ's and my DB4 mixer. I've scouted around on the net looking for the best way to do this and I've only found guides on how to do this using Traktor so I followed the guides and got it set up via a USB cable.
    It seems to record fine but during playback the mix crackles a bit and just generally doesn't sound the greatest quality. I've tried tweaking the bit rate and stuff but if I'm being honest I'm not very computer savvy and if I can't find a guide how to do it or fix something I'm generally at a loss. This is also my first experience with Traktor and I feel very lost in the woods. I have a little more experience with Ableton live as I messed around with it for a bit a while back but I don't know how I would record the mix using it and I can't find any guides or posts on how to do this.
    My PC isn't the greatest either so there's a lingering thought that it might be a hardware issue.

Any help with fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Just to be clear I'm not committed to doing the mix in Traktor, if someone can tell me another way of recording it then I'm all ears.

So yet set the record output on the DB4 to one of the soundcard inputs right? Were the gains set up properly in the traktor record area or was it clipping?

To record in ableton you would just hook the db4 up with usb, select the db4 as a soundcard in ableton with all the inputs and outputs enabled, then record into an audio track in ableton and set the track routing to record from whichever input you selected on the db4 soundcard, hit monitor in, then record arm the track and hit an empty clip slot to record into it (you can then mute the track). If those options don't show up you will have to click the little letters/circles on the right to get routing to show.

Or you can do the same and just record into audacity which is free and may be a little simpler for you but you would still have to set up routing.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply. I tried fiddling with the gains and made sure I wasn't clipping, it sounded as if there was interference with something else so I even tried disconnecting my internet and turning off all electrical equipment but it didn't help. I think the soundcard was set up correctly, I followed this guide to the letter:

http://www.slideshare.net/andrehooge...-heath-xonedb4

I'm liking your Ableton suggestion. I'll give that a bash and post back if I have any issues.

Thanks again for your help.

Tech Convert

Success!!!

After looking at both programmes I decided to go with down the Audacity route as it looked the easiest to use of the two and after some fiddling about I've got it working. The clarity sounds good and there doesn't seem to be any problems.

Thanks again for your help.

You don't need to go analog for this at all; you can save the D/A-A/D loop (not to mention some cord spaghetti) by simply recording right off the DB4's soundcard. In audacity (or whatever recording program you like) you ought to be able to set the incoming signal to your DB4's soundcard, and just record off the digital mix output that the DB4 sends (on my program it's just DB4 outputs 1+2). This should be a digital signal direct from your DB4 to the program; it's carried over USB so no RCA cables necessary. And you shouldn't have any clipping issues that way either (assuming you're not clipping on the DB4 of course).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    You don't need to go analog for this at all; you can save the D/A-A/D loop (not to mention some cord spaghetti) by simply recording right off the DB4's soundcard.
    Pretty sure that's what he was trying to do from the start- didn't see any mention of cables.

Tech Convert

Nope cables weren't an issue as I've been able to get the digital signal to my computer and Traktor via USB by just following the guide on A&H's website, the sound quality was just a bit crackly and when I started trying to adjust Traktor outside of what the guide was telling me to do I got totally lost and probably made things worse. I'll stick with Audacity just now as it does exactly what I need it to do and is simple to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Pretty sure that's what he was trying to do from the start- didn't see any mention of cables.
    D'oh! Sorry, I misread the first post. Carry on!
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan