Heres a greatidea on how to truely proform LIVE with ableton
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Heres a greatidea on how to truely proform LIVE with ableton

So most people with a mac computer have seen the program in their applications file called automator. What Automator allows you to do is create custom actions that you can map to say your right click menu. Now say someone with ableton just made themselves a loadd of instruments in ableton that revolve around using the sampler and the simpler, and maybe even impulse. Couldn't we just use automator as an express way to loading samples into different machines in ableton, better yet if we mapped a controller say like a Midi fighter or a launch pad to automator, couldn't we just create an action that is launched using a controller? And that action could command ableton to create a set machine with specific presets. And using then just load a sample into that machine?

If you dont get it let me explain using dubstep.

We make a sampler machine in ableton that creates wobble bass.
    We use automator to create a custom action that recreates the same wobble bass sampler machine as a track in ableton.
    Map those actions to a controller so you can press a button and it happens.
    Load a sample into said machine and test it in headphones while crowd is listening to something else.
    If the sample doesn't test good either tap another button on the controller to create a different machine with different presets. OR use another controller such as an APC40 to quickly adjust the settings of that machine.
    Finally create a decent melody and introduce it into the mix and move along.

Why can't we just do that????

Youre basically talking about making music live? To hard. Too much preasure

Tech Mentor

Yes, but that's why you use Automator to load machines you know already work. that way you have an idea of how it sounds before you even qie it up, it'll be fast and reliable. And the melodies you'd be inputting in draw mode should be melodies you yourself like. I swear to you this should be do able, you just have to be creative with the right mind set. It's his method shouldn't be to hard especially if you have all your samples loaded up in one folder organized like that. This way youd be able to call upon instruments you've used in your productions and use them again with different notes and call it a remix.

why wouldnt you just live loop with a sequencer or key controller of some kind?

ive done a few shows and jam sessions doing that. using launchpad, apc40 and korg pk and nativekontrol presets.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by forekaster View Post
    why wouldnt you just live loop with a sequencer or key controller of some kind?

ive done a few shows and jam sessions doing that. using launchpad, apc40 and korg pk and nativekontrol presets.
    in a sense you'd be doing the same thing with ableton live but that works to

so essentially your talking about making generative tracks by automating clip loading into various instruments in Live? your wall of text is a little ambiguous in my mid afternoon sleepy brain.

Tech Mentor

sort of. We would be automating track creation, each track would be loaded with a preloaded instrument, and all we would have to do is use note mode to create melodies in said track and we could use a launch pad or apc to launch them. Wouldn't THAT be live music production?

That is all doable. You need to be able to concentrate HARD to be able to pull it off Live, though.

I have no doubt that there are people out there doing stuff like this - people that don't waste time on forums!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Ok got ya.

yea thats what im doing now from time to time. i load various instruments including plugins, and live loop and/or play out melodies.

so by automating track creation you are reffereing to creating instrument tracks with a controller instead of mouse/keyboard?

Sounds like a good idea to enhance one's production workflow in my opinion! I'll definitely check it out. Always fascinating to see Ableton's hidden power!
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast