Traktor & Maschine: updating LCD values real-time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Traktor & Maschine: updating LCD values real-time

Hey guys,

So I'm working on a custom mapping for Maschine with Traktor 2.5 and ran into something interesting.

I love working with the Maschine since it has two beautiful LCDs and I set up a knob page to control Deck Mixer EQs. I mapped separate knobs to the 3 EQ bands like normal. However, I wanted the value bar in Maschine to reflect the EQ pot position from the software so I did this:

1. Add an Out to the same MIDI Channel and CC# the knob sends (As if it were a button LED)
    2. In LED Options set:

Controller Range Min: 0.00 and Max: 1.00
    MIDI Range: 0 to 127
    Invert: OFF
    Blend: ON (**Still not entirely sure how/what Blend does or is for but it NEEDS to be on for this! Anyone know why?)

So if I adjust the EQ with my mouse in Traktor the LCD value bar moves accordingly

Now the problem: When I move the knob in Maschine, the values communicate well between software and hardware but fight to stay at nominal (zero i.e. no boost or cut) unless I move it fast. It has a twitchy behaviour which isn't good for EQ response.

Does anyone have a solution or at least an explanation for this? I'm trying to decide if I should keep trying to get a smooth response out of it or accept it as impossible. The only explanation I have for this is that there is a software version of a debouncer written into Traktor to ignore old/jumpy knobs sending fluttering CC changes to Traktor.

Thanks guys.

bump, have been trying but failing to get the maschine mk2 knobs to map properly

has anyone out there managed to map a filter to a maschine knob and have it update correctly?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I use the a different modifier on my shift button so whenever I push it all knobs sync with the software value. Another thing I use is the top buttons as EQ resets, having them activate the same modifier. These buttons light up whenever the EQ isn't centred so it will give you a pretty good hint if something is sounding funky if the EQ is active or not. Same applies for filters.

You might want to use the same updating method for FX units so they will update the knob position when you change the selected FX. You'll want to tie the button scrolling through your FX list to trigger this modifier.

This isn't a Maschine only issue, it happens with all the controllers that have knob/encoder LED feedback on the same CC as the knob itself. I've figured this workaround for the APC rings back a few years and it ported perfectly to Maschine.

Blend tells Traktor to fade through all the steps to between the values you selected, as opposed to just displaying one or the other. For the EQ/Filter resets you want the controller range to be 0.5 in both boxes with Blend turned OFF.
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-21-2013 at 09:24 AM.

some great advice there Padi, thanks a bunch! will report back after another mapping session

aaaarrrrggg... i used to think i was ok at mapping...:/

Not sure I completly understand your solution but I do see that turning blend off has got me the closest yet. My use case that I am trying to implement is to map a filter and have the button above it reset it to 0.5/middle. I don't think I have the midi feedback working correctly yet.

heres what I had so far:

adjusting the filter:
    mk2 knob set in controller manager as: CC, absolute, bipolar, range 0-127, res 360deg
    filter adjust midi in in TSP2 as: fader/knob, direct, softtakeover off, invert off
    filter adjust midi out in TSP2 as: controller range 0.0-1.0, midi range 0-127, invert off, blend off

mk2 button above knob set in controller manager as: CC, trigger, action on down
    filter adjust midi in TSP in TSP2 as: button, reset

with this it appears that the display is updating correctly, but I think this is just a coincidence because when I hit reset the traktor value resets but the display doesn't, then when I move it again it jumps to the last position on the display, i guess this means I have the wrong combo of settings

with the knob set as absolute in controller manager the value on maschine is in the lead right? haven't had any succuess mapping stuff in traktor to knobs set as relative or relative offset, may I ask Padi, what sort of mapping types are you using?

there must be a way!
    - raises fist to the sky -

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Livid CNTRL:R have LED rings as well - not a single issue and this enc share same CC for in and out.

well, i've had a similar issue trying to map the same filter reset function on a livid code, although I saw another user on here managed to figure it out after some trial an error...

so as far as I can tell from the suggestion above I need a way to do a one time send of a midi out message with controller range set to 0.5-0.5, that way maschine knob value gets forced to reset, something with a modifier maybe, need to have another crack at it

Padi, in your impl does the midi out for the knob in traktor have two mappings?, one shifted (with modifier on) where controller range is set to 0.5-0.5 and the other non-shifted with 0-1?

well i made two midi out messages for the filter adjust

the reset above the knob now also triggers a modifier
    one with a modifier = 1 where the controller range sets to 0.5-0.5
    the other with modifier = 0 where controller range set to 0-1.0

sadly this doesn't seem to have any effect on the maschine knob midi state, it still resets only in traktor and then jumps back when moving the knob again

doesn't matter whether I have the modifier turned on by button direct or held...

An appeal to anyone who has a push button reset working on the maschine where the midi state on the maschine itself is updated correctly... how did you do it?

buuump.

I'm going to mess with this in the upcoming days on my Ultimate FX mapping for Maschine... I'll report back when I do.
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast