Genre of a song
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genre of a song

Default Genre of a song

What genre would this song be? It is house right?

Tech Convert

I'm gonna run with 'Electro House' on this one. Feel free to dismiss.
    Traktor Kontrol S4 | KRK Rokit RP5 Monitor Speakers | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ2000 | Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid-2010

It more sounds like funky kind of house but I don't know. I am trying to find similar songs to listen, I want to produce and learn a bit more of this type of sounds.

It's house. Settling down on the genre of some tunes is pretty impossible at times. As the speed of this track is about 128, I just think it's a funky remix. Which doesn't really help you much, I know.

Sometimes when I'm labeling songs I download (because as you know, beatport labels are never specific enough) I'll just leave some house tracks as just that, house. Because they don't fit into other molds, but still can be awesome. If anything, I'd put it on the tech side of things, rather than electro house. It's not... jump-up enough for electro, if that makes sense?

It's tough finding similar stuff to one of remixes at times.

But solid track.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Oh don't get me wrong its a nice enough track. I just think that genres have gone a little crazy sometimes. If you're hell bent on finding the specific genre.

Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music and then go to the associated genres on the bottom. Click through them, find artists and see what sounds most like it.
    Traktor Kontrol S4 | KRK Rokit RP5 Monitor Speakers | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Pioneer HDJ2000 | Macbook Pro 15-inch Mid-2010

Yeah, it is really nice track. I was thinking of house as well, it is hard to label anything nowadays.

I find genre "sub-classification" in EDM a bit redundant...

I read a book from a friend a while back called "Rave Culture" and it listed the different genres including 10 different variations of house. I think even the term "tech-house" is a bit redundant. It seems like anytime there's a slight variation in sound, someone feels the need to coin a new genre.

In the time I've been DJ'ing I've seen a lot of genre's come and go, and while I agree with distinguishing certain difference like "Deep House" I find genre's like progressive drum n bass (is that still used anymore?) to be really redundant.

If you look at the history of music, genre's don't even mean what they initially meant. R&B used to be Rhythm and Blues and described legends like Muddy Waters and such, not the cheesy love-making music that artists are coming out with now. And at one time "Alternative" was used to describe a genre that was unlike anything else...Now it's one of the biggest genres out there.

As for your question, I would just call this house, or dance. When I load tracks into my iTunes library I try to keep it as simple as humanly possible, because it allows for more simplified searching, so this would either be labeled as "dance" or "house".

Sounds Electro but feels Progressive. lol. crazy.

>

Electro house how it sounded about four years' ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Electro house how it sounded about four years' ago.
    No wonder then. This is so much better than what Electro House today is lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast