Demo abum cover..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Demo abum cover..

Made a album cover to go along with some tracks I'm working on. Curious to hear what you think of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In b4 flaming!

It's a little unclear what it is man - you have to imagine the person picking this up has no idea who you are or what this is about...is that image going to entice them to listen?

Also the pink line doesn't work with anything else on that cover - I'd also add a little depth to your logo by either shadow, shading or something else to 'lift' it slightly off the image - it's all a little too static right now.

Contact details would also help, even if it's just your website - people might love these tracks so much they want to hear more - how can they do that?
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

you already got some good advise. short but serious question: is it meant to be looking like an early 90s album?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

@ The Mighty. I really appreciate the advise. It's all good feedback.

"It's a little unclear what it is man - you have to imagine the person picking this up has no idea who you are or what this is about...is that image going to entice them to listen?"

Hopefully. There will be a backside on the sleeve insert explaining the picture, how it relates to the demo, and other demo info about me kinda stuff.

"Contact details would also help, even if it's just your website - people might love these tracks so much they want to hear more - how can they do that?"

Track and contact info will be on the backside insert of the jewel case as well as the cd itself.

"Also the pink line doesn't work with anything else on that cover"

Aw, why you hatin' on the pink line? lol, jk.

That's kind of why I put it in to be honest.

From a graphic design perspective, it serves a few purposes. It demands the viewers attention, let's them know this is probably some electronicish kind of stuff, and not a death metal album. It adds contrast from the cover picture, and the color itself makes it more approachable to the 19 year old college intern chicks who will probably be the first people to see this.. I could make it a bright blue as well.. I just like the pink with the grey. I'll play with some different color combos.

"I'd also add a little depth to your logo by either shadow, shading or something else to 'lift' it slightly off the image - it's all a little too static right now."

Agreed. I made this on Paintbrush, so it was some work to get the definition that I did. I might have to hit up Pirate Bay, and then remake it on Photoshop.

@Ed Paris

In a way, yes. My personal philosophy is that music, digital media, logos, etc. are all super freaking busy right now. But things come in cycles. Whats cool for the past few years will become cliche very soon (already kind of is).

Also, whatever was cool 20-30 years ago, becomes cool again, with a modern twist. It never fails. When I was in school in the 90s, the 60's-70's rocker style was in. Right now and for the past couple years, the 80's neon has been very retro chic. 1992 is calling, they're ready for a second go.

Just watch. Skrillex and others have crazy, neon, metal band logos right now. I bet within the next year they mix it up with 90s flair (gonna see a lot of pink, grey, teal fairly soon), while keeping enough original elements to maintain familiarity with their fans.
    Last edited by Eric Day; 07-19-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Also, to give some background on the pic.. This badass is parachuting from over 102k feet (also known as space in 1963 when he did it). He free fell for 8 minutes and hit speeds of over 600 mph before landing safely. A record that has stood for nearly 50 years to this very day. If that doesn't get someones attention, then fuck em.

i'll just reiterate some of the feedback i agree with...

the fonts and infamous pink line give it a bit of a cheesy retro feel...i would say 80s, instead of 90s...i'm thinking Miami Vice (the tv series :0B ). if that's close to the feel you want, nice job

the picture is pretty esoteric in nature. i see your reason for liking that aspect. But I would just add that people might be more apt to care about the meaning of something like that if you were a mega-star... Personally, I would recommend something more focused on simple translation by the masses.

Have you checked the recent thread by a forum member who is doing a cover design masterclass? Probably a lot of good advice there...
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

@Kelsy7k

"the fonts and infamous pink line give it a bit of a cheesy retro feel...i would say 80s, instead of 90s...i'm thinking Miami Vice (the tv series :0B ). if that's close to the feel you want, nice job"

Word. It kind of is I guess, though Miami Vice actually used art deco style letters from the roaring 20s as a homage to the cities heritage, and the architecture found there from that era. This is a more modern/contemporary font.

"But I would just add that people might be more apt to care about the meaning of something like that if you were a mega-star... Personally, I would recommend something more focused on simple translation by the masses."

That's the tricky part in the beginning stages with image. It's all about looking like you've made it, without people saying "Dude, you haven't made it yet, you can't do wild stuff like that and pull it off." The flip side is that if you go too simple, it just looks amateurish.

I saw an awesome quote by a music vereteran that stated basically.. "Write songs that sound like they are supposed to be here, and have always been here.." I think the same philosophy can be applied to image. There's a sweet spot between amateurish and try hard when it comes to branding and image. It's all about finding it.

I'll definitely look into the cover design thread you've mentioned. I didn't occur to me to look and see if anyone has gone in depth on creating an album cover here. Big ups on suggesting that.

Just for reference.. Put this next to my cover. Other than the they both include the color pink, there is little resemblance.

Attachment 11175

Esoteric.. I love it. Fits perfect with everything. Don't worry Kelsey, I'll give you some credit for the album title.

The "Volume-1" was just a working title while I played with name ideas. I think that's it. This is exactly why I like posting stuff on here, for random input like this.

Attachment 11176
    Last edited by Eric Day; 07-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Looks good! But change "Volume - 1" to "Volume One". Or Volume 0x00000001 .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast