My name is Alex.. my name is Alex.. my name is Alex.. my name is... #$@#$^@$#^()@%^()
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default My name is Alex.. my name is Alex.. my name is Alex.. my name is... #$@#$^@$#^()@%^()

Sorry for the weird topic name pathetically derivative of a certain 303 bassline driven 110bp'ish track.

But I'm just getting into Djing after a long stint (well ongoing really) attempt at production, electronic performance, etc.

It seems that being whatever you set you're mind to is not quite as straight-forward as my 2cd grade teacher told me it was.

So I'm looking to throttle that residual creative fuel into djing as, not to offend, but it seems much, much more readily accessible.

I've got a pretty decent traktor setup and I'm beginning to know how to use it. IF I were to want to get out of the house and get some decent fun paying gigs, what would any of you seasoned gigging dj's recommend? Which type of records should I spin to get the best gigs the quickest? Is edm to much of a niche thing? I was thinking about just getting a collection of top 40, some house, some dubstep, some hip hop and just coming up with a creative 1-2 hour long set? If I did that and had that ready to go, is that something I'd be able to find even modest gigs with?

basically i'm just looking fo advice.. thanks

If you set your mind to it you can do whatever you please.

I don't understand why you'd want to play music you don't have a passion for, but yeah, if you're going to get into it just try and enjoy the scenery, it's usually pretty good.

Country/dubstep is blowing up right now. Spin that, and you should have gigs in a month.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

how about finding what you like...spin that...get good at it...then look for gigs?

carriage horse something something...

It's not going to a quick ride into a club if you want to be good at it. Just like producing, djing is a never ending learning experience. It may take you 6 to 18 months of HARD work to get to the point where you can play out. Not only that you need the love for the music you are playing. You shouldn't be asking us what genre you should be playing. That should be your first step. Second step is practice for the next couple of months. Keep your track collection up to date. And then practice some more. When you can mix well for a couple of hours then you will be ready to play at a paying gig.

Shane says its hard, I say its easy. Download the top40 off of MTV, load track A, press play, beatmatch track B, press play. So simple yo! Rinse and repeat.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

who beatmatches when you have sync?

Sounds like you are getting into DJing for all the wrong reasons. You just want to be cool? or do you actually have enough of a passion for playing music that you are willing to put some effort in to it? The WORST dj possible has nothing to do with their beatmatching skills (any fool can mix 2 songs together), the worst is someone who looks bored in the booth! You need passion to be good at it!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

^^ I agree.

Find your own style & genre and don't do it for money.

Do it for the love of music and bringing joy to peoples ears, and make sure you bring something different to the stage.

Like skateboarders they skate all day long for FUN and one day they end up pro just for the sake of skating they love to skate. They don't just buy all the expensive gear and then want to sign up for x-games at the beginning.

Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast