OT: Sleep
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT: Sleep

Default OT: Sleep

Anybody here have the HORRIBLE habit of not getting any sleep...consistently?

I've got a 8:30-5:30 day job (plus a half day Saturday shift) and I usually end up asleep at around 12AM-1:30AM...daily. I have to be out of bed by 7AM.

Its starting to take it's tole (physically and mentally). So much so, I've found myself searching the net for control mechanisms.....something that would literally cut me off at a certain hour. The thing is that the night time is the time Im most active mentally and creatively overall. Ideas start to flow (and so does the wine) once darkness falls. I actually feel like Im missing something if I did not stay up searching the net for various bits of information or creating sounds in my room on the DAW.

One of my goals for 09 was getting sleep like the rest of the world does and it's not working out too well. At this point it is a bit of an addiction (in a bad way). The days my body has literally forced me to sleep at 8PM I've felt like literally a different person. I've seriously underrated clear thoughts, outlook and coherent consciousness.

Anybody else have this problem (pathetic addiction)? Any solutions you've learned to use (besides the obvious self discipline and self control?) How do traveling DJs do it?
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

man im a insomniac! i havent been able to get good sleep since I went to the sand box back in 2003. i work from 11 to 8 and dj a couple times per week. and I usually sleep from 3 to 4 am and im up by 8 am. best way to get sleep is log off of djtt turn off the computer and count sheep. if not a beer or shot of jd does the trick
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Whats this thing people call sleep ? :P

Tech Mentor

Sleep is for the weak, and can be easily replaced by a diet of caffeine and basslines that make your teeth rattle.

BAHH!!!! you guys are no help!!!

you know... maybe if I did have the pleasure, inspiration, stimulation and adrenaline of spinning for hyped crowds I may......I would forget about it temporarily. (working on it)

Seriously though...its becoming a health issue for me. I'm going to have to really buckle down.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Sleep is for the weak, and can be easily replaced by a diet of caffeine and basslines that make your teeth rattle.
    this.

or smoke pot. thats how i get to sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Once you get over 30 you wont need sleep. i get 3-4 hours max and i'm all good *twitch twitch*
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

A few tips from someone who used to be physically unable to fall asleep before 1am...

First off, cut back on the caffeine. It will suck at first because you'll feel like you're exhausted in the mornings, but that feeling will help you fall asleep easier later. I used to do 2-3 energy drinks a day, but now I'm down to no more than 1 only a few times a week. My body was horribly physically dependent on caffeine so I'm still somewhat weening off, but cutting down helped me a bunch. It seems like stupid common sense, but it really does make a difference.

Secondly, quit smoking cigs. I was never a heavy smoker (1-2 packs a week at my worst), but quitting definitely helped me sleep easier, and I've heard the same from friends who have quit. If you get even small withdrawals, consider them somewhat of a blessing because they'll tire your body out more during the day having to deal with them, and that will help you nod off at night.

If you don't exercise or do at least some notable physical activity during the day, start doing so. A big part of my problem is growing up as an active child I always had lots of energy, and once I started working a desk job I never got to release and having all that energy still built up would keep me out. I moved to a job at a bike shop and started riding more after work and on my off days, and being able to actually break a sweat and burn off some energy and stress really helped me out.

In a nutshell, quieting your body and ridding it of external stimulation is the key. Through fixing my own sleep situation, I realized a lot of stuff I was doing was harming my body and I like to think I live a much healthier life now because of it (keyword think )

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    The thing is that the night time is the time Im most active mentally and creatively overall. Ideas start to flow (and so does the wine) once darkness falls.
    i'd say get a job with hours better suited to your lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    Anybody else have this problem (pathetic addiction)? Any solutions you've learned to use (besides the obvious self discipline and self control?) How do traveling DJs do it?
    you are straight up blind if you think addiction to creativity is a bad thing imo. change your surroundings to serve yourself and not the other way around
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post

you are straight up blind if you think addiction to creativity is a bad thing imo. change your surroundings to serve yourself and not the other way around
    agreed

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast