Finding Tracks in HIGH Quality format
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Finding Tracks in HIGH Quality format

Just wanted to open a discussion about all the new ways to obtain tracks. Luckily, being in Tempe Ariz. I have a few diamond in the rough record shops (Zia record exchange, and several smaller mom and pop shops) that carry some unique tunes with there used selections, both cd and vinyl. despite that, like most people, usually my new music is purchased and downloaded online. I never got into downloading free post napster era with torrents and stuff so am strictly talking finding music legally. One of my challenges recently has been that I've been finding a lot of awesome tracks lately which is great, I usually look for underground stuff bc i get a lot of satisfaction from introducing new music to a room or party(when well received of course!). The downside has been that my list of tracks that i'd love to have has been growing but i have had a hard time finding high quality downloads for them. I used to spend a lot of time sifting through beatport so it was easy to just click and download when i found something however I got bored of that and looking for new inspiration have recently turned to some small edm/electro sites and blogs where i seem to come across more stuff that i love and am unfamiliar with. when i search these tracks tho and find that they are not on beatport for example, i sometimes cant find an alternative other than say a soundcloud download.

So my question is , do others run into this a lot? What tips or resources have you found most helpful in keeping your track collection Fresh, high quality and flooded with underground Tunes? Maybe I'm missing some good widely used sites.

Also I haven't done a lot of soundcloud downloading, i actually borderline hate soundcloud because of its gui and poor quality issues Ive always experienced so haven't used it to much so are there certain artists or tracks on soundcloud that are high enough quality to DJ with?(was thinking maybe i just had bad luck with the few files Ive tried or maybe they've improved since i last tried)

One thing ive thought about trying were emailing or face-booking artists for a digital high quality copy of a track or remix I'd like From them. this would allow them to be compensated if needed. I've also thought about using a file sharing site for bootlegs or tracks i simply cant find. How do ppl feel about this in this scenario?

I would love to find a great online EDM geared record store where i could pre listen to tracks and then have the option to order the actual album or ep on CD rather than digital only, Anyone know of sites like this?

Will definitely continue to search for other beatport like sites but please share your recommendations if you can, I know alot of people like to keep certain resources to themselves, Ive been guilty of that at times but thought maybe the djtt community could help each other out when it comes to finding and supporting underground edm legally. there's nothing more frustrating than finding a new hot banger and only having a 128k file for it.

I struggle with this same issue. I pride myself on having high quality audio used in my sets. It may not make a huge difference sometimes, but when you get behind a Funktion 1 or similar system and play MP3s, it's a pretty drastic difference.

My favorite site for getting digital tracks is JunoDownload.com then probably Beatport, MasterMixDigital.com, TraxSource.com. I also download a decent amount from SoundCloud and the likes, but if they are lower quality then wav/flac/lossless and I want to use it I generally immediately contact the artist to try and get a high quality version.

It just makes sense to get high quality stuff if you want to be considered a professional DJ. I'm glad more and more people and places are realizing this and finally allowing for full format downloads.
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

Yes ask the artist/producer directly if you could get a WAV/AIFF file of their track for DJ:ing. Does not hurt and you will be amazed how many times they send you one.

Stompy also has WAV files, btw.

I'm happy to hear more DJs are looking into the quality side of tracks, quality is better than quantity. Alas some of the tracks I like to play are underground mixes and they seldom come as WAV files so I have to just bite the bullet and play the 320k in case I can't get hold of the lossless version.

Tech Wizard

I agree 100%. i think this is what will weed out the flood of new djs as of recently also. its true that anyone can buy a budget controller and start mixing but unless your heart is in it it can be tedious to spend 6+ hours searching for new music , one of my favorite tasks actually. Def a big part of what separates the decent from the terrible. I still use some mp3's but nothing less than 320. i think track quality makes a huge difference once you start to use effects, especially chains. Glad i live where the internet is cheap for downloading high quality.

It's kind of cool to stay away from the Beatport Top-40 and find gems and good tracks few other DJs play... Good quality audio files, of course.

Tech Wizard

Does anyone ever throw a Soundcloud download in their mix?. I just wasn't sure if some soundcloud files are high quality and some aren't. Can someone clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by mmullen68 View Post
    Does anyone ever throw a Soundcloud download in their mix?. I just wasn't sure if some soundcloud files are high quality and some aren't. Can someone clarify?
    I do all the time. The fact is, most of them are listed as 320 Kbps download Mp3. Some are .wav, and some are .aif really. What it comes down to though, is you can't tell off the bat if a file is "quality" except really by looking at it. I can tell by looking at (Serato at least) if a file I've picked up from a blog or soundcloud really is quality or not.

The fact is, there are a ton of AWESOME remixes on soundcloud. And a TON of original tracks. I consider myself fairly proficient at finding what I am looking for on there, and amazed every day by the amazing tracks I may not have heard of. Some I have to go buy on beatport or the like, but a majority of them are fine straight off of soundcloud.

I'm not going to make the argument of 320 Mp3 vs WAV, but I totally believe that 320 Mp3's are fine. And that is what 100% of my collection is.

Soundcloud is a goldmine if you know how to dig correctly. I also look on various blogs (in the theme of the specific genre I'm looking for) but mostly, it's beatport and soundcloud these days.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

awesome thanks brine, i use 320's as well and never have had an issue, a few are even one step below 320 and ok. definitely gonna give soundcloud another shot as soon as i get my laptop back next week

Quote Originally Posted by mmullen68 View Post
    Just wanted to open a discussion about all the new ways to obtain tracks. Luckily, being in Tempe Ariz. I have a few diamond in the rough record shops (Zia record exchange, and several smaller mom and pop shops)
    I am also in Tempe, AZ. Where these record shops are located? I would like to check them out. I just moved here after New years.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I am also in Tempe, AZ. Where these record shops are located? I would like to check them out. I just moved here after New years.
    Welcome to AZ, where did you move from? Ive been out here for about 10 years but originally moved from philly, like it tho, def a decent scene. Zia is gonna be right off of mill avenue on university. Just west of Mill ave. There is another shop(forget the name) on the south west corner of university and Price rd, the pawn shop in that same plaza is also worth checking out from time to time as they carry some decent gear sometimes. Got a set of nice studio monitors there once. There is another record shop thats actually on ASU campus, in the lower level of the Student MU( cafeteria, shops etc...). Check out a new times newspaper as well and you can usually find ads or coupons/sales for other used music stores.

Have you played out anywhere since moving here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast