How to use VCI-400 w/ desktop speakers?
    Tech Convert

Question How to use VCI-400 w/ desktop speakers?

Hi DJTT friends,

I'm still in the process of acquiring a used set of KRK's for my VCI-400 for home-use...

But in the meantime, I'm trying to connect my VCI-400 to my regular desktop speakers (or iHome, or anything with an 1/8" audio-in outlet for that matter) but I can't get any sound out of it! What usually happens is I have to turn the Master Volume ALLLL the way up, and then whatever speakers I'm using ALLLLL the way up, but then the sound that comes out is just a puny little bit.

Here is the typical connection setup:

VCI-400 EGE => 1/4" male plugs (which converts to...) => RCA red/white => 1/8" male => desktop speaker

I'll try to lay it out in words which might help:

On one end of the RCA cable I use 1/4" adapters which helps connect the RCA cable into the 1/4" inlets on the VCI. On the other end the RCA can either (I have two different cables) run directly out red/white RCA, which I can plug into a home system... or it changes into a 1/8" which I can plug into the usual AUX jack.

Am I missing something? Maybe something in the settings? And yes, I have set the Monitor section so my headphones do work when I jack those in.

Thanks in advance!

Tech Convert

you have two options. The VCI-400 has master outputs through XLR or TSR (1/4") - and your KRK should have the same.

it's a standard hookup.

i am assuming the rokit series - http://www.digitaldjtips.com/wp-cont...view-rear1.jpg

i would recommend using XLR/TSR versus converting to RCA for sound quality outputted. But if you really want to, you can grab a stereo 1/4 to rca adapter cable.

Tech Convert

Hi bhagatriks,

I think you misunderstood my question. I am sure that my future KRK's will have no problem making sound.

The problem I have right now is hooking up the 400 to reguarl desktop speakers, meaning, something with ONLY an 1/8" auxillary input.

Any ideas?

Tech Convert

I noticed that my 1/4" converters are TS and not TSR.

I will pick up a set of TSR's, try them out, and post my reply here.

Tech Convert

oh, i do this all the time. 1/4" to 1/8" or use 1/4" to RCA with an RCA to 1/8" adapter.

Tech Convert

OK yea I tried w/ TSR's instead of TS adaptors and the sound is much louder!

Problem solved!