Traktor - Beatgridding by Metronome Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Traktor - Beatgridding by Metronome Question

    Hi - I recently bought Traktor & and S2. I'm preparing myself for diving into beatgridding my tracks but haven't been able to get an answer to the following question at the NI forums. Perhaps someone here could be kind enough ...

    ... In the following video the guy has the metronome tick on 118 but his track is 122. He clicks Sync ... isn't he beatgridding a 122 BPM track to a 118 metronome tick ... and if this is the case how on earth can this be correct?



    I would have thought he should change the tick to 122 before he beatgrids?

    Or, put another way, when using the metronome tick, how do I know what value to set the master clock (tick) to?
    Last edited by Jester; 07-28-2012 at 04:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    478

    Default

    It doesn't really matter because the track is synced to the master clock, its changing the tempo of the track to 118, so whether the track is at 118, 122, 130, 140, it doesn't matter, the beat grid will always be the same. The actual beats in the track don't change, just the tempo.

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor Pearce161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Halifax, England
    Posts
    153

    Default

    as the post above says, Traktor will analyse when u first load it to a deck (if u havent run analysis already) then it will sync either , in this case, the track to the master clock or the clock, and hence the metronome, to the track u then jus adjust the grid manually.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor Pearce161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Halifax, England
    Posts
    153

    Default

    btw 99% of the time i find the grid traktor puts up is slighty late of the beat.

  5. #5
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearce161 View Post
    btw 99% of the time i find the grid traktor puts up is slighty late of the beat.
    99% of mine I feel are correct. The other 1% are late 99% of the time though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

  6. #6
    Tech Guru djproben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    99% of mine I feel are correct. The other 1% are late 99% of the time though.
    ^^ This is my experience too, at least with house and 4-on-the-floor stuff. Hip hop, dnb, and dubstep can bring that number up but still probably well under 10% that I need to fix.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor Pearce161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Halifax, England
    Posts
    153

    Default

    really? i nearly always have to adjust mine and its mainly house and techno stuff. I am new to beatgridding nut my routine is to zoom in, have a look at a few grid markers, adjust it to on the beat, check its consistent through the track, then check against the metronome. i have to adjust pretty much every track a little. Could be i'm been too precise happen, i dont know.

  8. #8
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    478

    Default

    I also very rarely have to manually beat grid anything. Most of the time if something is wrong, its because the tempo was wrong or the first beat grid marker was wrong so I just delete the first marker and put a new marker on the first beat and everything falls into place.

  9. #9
    DJTT Moderator Dude Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,314

    Default

    down with the 1% !

    (fixed the title OZA was kinda bugging me )
    Acer E5 i7 2TB 16GB ~ 512GB SSD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ X1 ~ DN-X1600 ~ X1 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ AT2020

    "This aggression will not stand, man."

  10. #10
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    13,939

    Default

    My first step is just to listen to it with the tick.
    Chris Jennings FHP

    Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •