In need of help, a few different things
    Tech Wizard

Default In need of help, a few different things

Okay so I have 6 months, to buy gear, get tracks and get ready for a gig. It's a school dance so it's not like it's gonna be crazy, but the issues are as follow:

1: I am a minimal DJ and not really in tune with what's popular.

2: I use ableton for mixing, I have an x-session and that's it. I wanna get a traktor or virtual DJ controller, budget is $700 just want some opinions

3: I need tracks! :s People say dubstep and electro would go over well, so can you guys give me as many track names, download links, artists, labels, anything! I need tracks!

The help would be super appreciated

-DJ Manson

I would suggest the traktor kontrol s2 if you dont want to do anything to fancy. If you want to play electronic music at your gigs i would suggest songs by skrillex, feed me,avicii, deadmau5, daft punk, flux pavilion, nero, bassnectar, afrojack, modestep, krewella, and whiteqube. If you dont know any pop or rock songs to play, look at the top 100 songs on itunes, by looking at that list you'll get a good idea of what to play. Hope this helps!!!

I'm sorry but I'm going to be hard on you.
    You want DJ with music you don't even know yet? And whats hot today might be totaly out in 6 mounths
    A school dance is what 4 -5 hours? so your going to be needing at least 100 tracks witch you don't have and need to buy that going to run up to at least $150.
    You also want to in these 6 months to learn how to mix in on Traktor or VDJ and at the same time you going to try mixing songs that are totaly onknown to you and might not even like.

But if you realy feel you going to be ready for the dance.
    You might check some Top40 in diferent styles, download a demo of Traktor and Virtual DJ home figure out witch one you like to work on then go look for controller that you like and has best intergration with the software you choose. then use the rest of the time getting ready for the dance practis and practis untill you start to loos you mind then practis some more.

Only Paris Hilton can become a DJ over night
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by robertlgemmell View Post
    I would suggest the traktor kontrol s2 if you dont want to do anything to fancy. If you want to play electronic music at your gigs i would suggest songs by skrillex, feed me,avicii, deadmau5, daft punk, flux pavilion, nero, bassnectar, afrojack, modestep, krewella, and whiteqube. If you dont know any pop or rock songs to play, look at the top 100 songs on itunes, by looking at that list you'll get a good idea of what to play. Hope this helps!!!
    Welcome to the forums!

The S2 is a good choice, tightly integrated with Traktor.

Apart from Daft Punk, I'd rather set my ears alight than listen to a set of the producers listed above, but horses for courses I suppose, it's bound to go down well with people who've just discovered 'EDM'.

OP, it sounds like a commercial gig, so would go with commercial dance music such as that listed above and top40 of the time (i.e. in 6 months).
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

you could continue mixing with ableton if you put the time in to correctly warp your tracks, or if you want to get nutty you could use a serato contoller with itch and run the bridge. but the guys are right, for every "EDM" track you play, the school crowd is gunna wanna hear 3 top 40 tracks. thats just how that crowd is gunna be. prep time will always be more valuable than what gear you choose or what software you pick. and remember its a school gig not a club night so dont be all that worried about flawless mixing and being an efx wizard. at that kinda gig your there to play what the crowd likes but have fun padawan and may the force be wit ya
    http://www.soundcloud.com/durtyjerzy609 Numark TTX1's, Rane TTM57SL, SSL, Novation Dicers, Abelton Live 8, Akai APC 20, Akai MPD18, Alesis M1 520's
    I'm all that and then some, tall dark and handsome