Alright im new here/New to DJing. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Like ToOntown explained, think of your platters as actual records. If you touch them they will stop the music, and moving it forwards and backwards will stop the music.

The side that the crossfader is on allows sound from that platter through. Say for example you want to only hear deck A in your headphones, what you would need to do is push the crossfader to deck B so sound is only coming from that side. Above your deck at line fader (volume control), there's a CUE button. What this does is that it feeds the sound from which ever deck you've enabled cue on to your headphones. So if the crossfader is on deck B, speakers will head that, but if you cue deck A, you'll hear it in your headphones. This is called cue-ing. However, the catch to this, and what you had before was that if you have the cue button on for a deck which the crossfader is pushed to, you'll hear sound in both headphone and from the speakers.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Plus can you also take screenshots of your "audio setup" and "output routing" tabs from the configure menu in traktor. If you're unsure, that's the wrench in the top right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by elio_xh View Post
    Like ToOntown explained, think of your platters as actual records. If you touch them they will stop the music, and moving it forwards and backwards will stop the music.

The side that the crossfader is on allows sound from that platter through. Say for example you want to only hear deck A in your headphones, what you would need to do is push the crossfader to deck B so sound is only coming from that side. Above your deck at line fader (volume control), there's a CUE button. What this does is that it feeds the sound from which ever deck you've enabled cue on to your headphones. So if the crossfader is on deck B, speakers will head that, but if you cue deck A, you'll hear it in your headphones. This is called cue-ing. However, the catch to this, and what you had before was that if you have the cue button on for a deck which the crossfader is pushed to, you'll hear sound in both headphone and from the speakers.
    Ohh i see, now that makes tons of sense actually, thats really clarifies it.

Ok so everything is set up right, I just wanted to make sure. But ya, that's the basics of cue-ing. You use it to get your next song ready without the crowd hearing you prep. There's many tutorials on it, a good place to start are the ellaskins videos, which I saw you've been watching, and the DJ Techtools videos on youtube. If you have any more questions feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by elio_xh View Post
    Ok so everything is set up right, I just wanted to make sure. But ya, that's the basics of cue-ing. You use it to get your next song ready without the crowd hearing you prep. There's many tutorials on it, a good place to start are the ellaskins videos, which I saw you've been watching, and the DJ Techtools videos on youtube. If you have any more questions feel free to ask
    Yeah i really like Ellaskins videos, he really gets straight to the point, and ill check out this websites videos as well.

I guess it just comes with practice, another any good videos or anything to read up on, on doing a smooth transition... like when i go from one song to another it just flat out drop the song and starts another.

I guess you just find the perfect blend in the other song?

complicating stuff here.

Tech Guru

Here, I can help you a little more.

Before you get into any transitions try doing the following.

Pick 2 tracks from your collection with clear drum intros and outros. How about those two Nicky Romero tracks "Toulouse" and "Titanium (Nicky Romero Remix)"

In Toulouse do you hear how there's just drums until about the 1:00 mark? This is a 32 bar intro. It's there so you can blend it on the back-end of another song.

Load Toulouse into Deck A
    Slide the crossfader over all the way left
    Hit play on Deck A

Load Titanium into Deck B
    Hit Sync on Deck B
    Enable Headphone Cue on Deck B
    Hit play on Deck B
    You should not be able to hear Titanium anywhere but in your headphones, but the beats should be syncopated.
    Stop Deck B and reverse the track back to the beginning
    Slide the crossfader to the dead center and wait.

At about the 5 minute mark of Toulouse there will be a big white noise blast--this is a great spot to hit play on Deck B (try to time it based on the beat).

What you'll do now is let Deck A play out during the intro of Titanium until it's over. When it's done, slide the crossfader over to the right and pick a new song in the same BPM for Deck A, repeat the process.

This is basic crossfade mixing.

Let me know how you do!

Nice to see people helping people rather than talkin' shmack. Just wanted to give props. PROCEED!
    Vestax VCI-400 EGE, Traktor Pro 2.5 + flashflooders' .tsi, Lenovo Y580 IdeaPad: 3rd Gen i7, 8 GB DDR3, 7200rpm 500 GB HDD, 1920x1080

http://soundcloud.com/bhajan-raum

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    Here, I can help you a little more.

Before you get into any transitions try doing the following.

Pick 2 tracks from your collection with clear drum intros and outros. How about those two Nicky Romero tracks "Toulouse" and "Titanium (Nicky Romero Remix)"

In Toulouse do you hear how there's just drums until about the 1:00 mark? This is a 32 bar intro. It's there so you can blend it on the back-end of another song.

Load Toulouse into Deck A
    Slide the crossfader over all the way left
    Hit play on Deck A

Load Titanium into Deck B
    Hit Sync on Deck B
    Enable Headphone Cue on Deck B
    Hit play on Deck B
    You should not be able to hear Titanium anywhere but in your headphones, but the beats should be syncopated.
    Stop Deck B and reverse the track back to the beginning
    Slide the crossfader to the dead center and wait.

At about the 5 minute mark of Toulouse there will be a big white noise blast--this is a great spot to hit play on Deck B (try to time it based on the beat).

What you'll do now is let Deck A play out during the intro of Titanium until it's over. When it's done, slide the crossfader over to the right and pick a new song in the same BPM for Deck A, repeat the process.

This is basic crossfade mixing.

Let me know how you do!
    Will do, I'm On my way to work right now, I'll do it as soon as I get home and post a sample

Should the cue buttOn always be on as you play a track?

I don't have it always on. I only have the cue button on for a song that's not playing over the speakers. It's also the reason why sometimes you see DJs have only one headphone on. I like to hear what everyone else is hearing, as well as have the song I'm cue-ing up. This way you can try and blend the two songs together.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast