my Traktor pro rig up suddenly has some serious sound issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my Traktor pro rig up suddenly has some serious sound issues.

Ok, I finish college early for the day. Im thinkin' sweet, ill go home and sesh' Traktor for a few hours before me tea! Traktor suddenly takes years to open, then when it does, I load a track into 'deck a', hit play, nothing. Then relise the name of the song and the bpm etc is displayed but none of the waveforms are there! a couple of moments later, the waveforms show and I can eventually play the track. I load another track into 'deck b' when Traktor goes horribly jumpy and the sound distorts that bad I have to turn it down so i could barely hear it. When the track in deck b is loaded, the sound goes back to normal. The sound also goes so bad you cant really tell what song is playing whenever I load a new folder into the browser section. The CPU meter is always bouncin' to the far right of the meter, its been doing this from the very start though.

Iv got no portable hard drive or xp disk so a format wouldn't be my perfect choice.

Dell Inspiron 1501, windows xp with nothing on it other than traktor and a load of tunes. ( its fairly old. Iv had no real major issues for about 6 months until now)
    Audio 4 (iv had to set it to 11.5 latency because it pops and crackles badly)
    VCi-100
    Traktor Pro V1.1.1

Any ideas?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Guru

Even though I don't know much about windows rigs (even though I know a bit about windows) it sounds like you need to run the DPC latency checker, and think hard about what has changed since the last time you used your rig. I would also consult itunes/windows media and play any songs that have given you trouble in traktor. See if they work there, and that will tell you if they are corrupt at least. Then if that doesn't work I would make several tsi's with varying levels of settings (maybe even one for each option, so if settings are corrupt you can id where). Then I would reinstall traktor and go through the process of checking with each tsi file. Painstaking I know. Also you might scan the disk for corrupt portions. Also check to see what your deck cache size is in traktor, because there is currently an issue with the 256mb setting I believe, see NI for more info or beat Karlos till he gives you the answer (that's what I always do )

Ed. I mention the DPC latency checker because you specified 11.5ms which is pretty high for an audio 4. I have a djio and can usually run 8.5 and if I am feeling crazy 5.5

Ed2. Actually now that I think about it I believe the latency is based on cpu largely, which could be why you have to run 11.5ms, still can't hurt to latency check since there are rumors of dells having latency spikes (not starting a flame war here, thats why I say rumors)
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 06-10-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Thanks man, ill look for the DPC latency checker now! The audio coming out of my built in laptop speakers is also baaad quality and extremely jumpy, I just checked then (using iTunes). Looks like its an issue with my laptop as apposed to Traktor or the Audio 4.

On the DPC i'm getting 44121 micro seconds for the current latency & 86624 micro seconds for max latency....nothing but red lines

Mate, many things could be causing this. But I have the feeling that is a sound interface issue.
    You may test if this is the issue by selecting your onboard souncard as the souncard for traktor. Change it and try to load some songs and see if the waveform is strange or acts strange.
    Also If you have a chance reinstall the audio 4 drivers. Also try another usb cable from the interface to the PC.

Also untill you figure out the issue don't connect the vci, to eliminate some variables from your rig.

Good luck!

Iv re-installed the audio 4 drivers, same issue. No matter what sound card I select within traktor the same issue is occurring. Do you think it may be a virus? Even when it was running ok, it was pretty laggy nothing like this though.

I may just buy a mac...

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    Iv re-installed the audio 4 drivers, same issue. No matter what sound card I select within traktor the same issue is occurring. Do you think it may be a virus? Even when it was running ok, it was pretty laggy nothing like this though.

I may just buy a mac...
    Yes it can be a virus or some other new process that is using lots of your pcs resources. But as I told you before there may be many issues that can cause this. Do you feel that your pc is slow on normal tasks also? Is your pc optimized?

You may try to check out the programs and services that are loading on windows startup and try to have only what is necessary.

You can check this by going to the startup menu, then run and type msconfig and press enter.

On the program select the services tab and check the box "Hide Microsoft Services" Check out if you see services that you can stop.
    Also on the Startup tab try to leave only the necesary programs. Restart your laptop and see if the performance improoves.

Good luck!

Tech Guru

You haven't updated any direct x or asio drivers lately have you?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

First off, I don't want to wish this on you, but this exact thing happened to me with my last PC (dell also). It was on its way out. I did my system check and it kept freezing at the testing on the control interrupter (I think that's what it was). None the less, you can't fix that since most of them are built into you processor now.

I hope this isn't what you have but check. Do you hardware diagnostic and see what comes up.

Edit: I guess it was the Processor IC (interrupt controller).
    Last edited by Foreverhex; 06-10-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Thanks for all of your help! I'll try these segestions when I get home from work! I havnt updated any direct x or aiso drivers as far as I am aware. Foreverhex, I'm kinda hoping it's dead it's about 4 years old, I'd love a more up to date laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast