IDEA: Using Traktor without needing a laptop on stage.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default IDEA: Using Traktor without needing a laptop on stage.

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/...-the-cover-art

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/...o-advanced-hid

A lot of us were really hoping that Traktor's new HID integration with the CDJ 2000/900 would allow us to take better advantage of the CDJ's screens, but in the above links, Pioneer is claiming that is just not possible, as it is a hardware limitation. Let's leave all arguments at the door about whether or not that is true(there's already some discussion about hacking the Pioneer firmware.)

This concept of being able to perform without needing a laptop screen open on stage is something I've been working on for a while, and I know it's been done before. I know Mil0 had some success with this, with a program called Clonething, and later a different utility meant for flight simulators. I think this is a concept that should be brought much farther, as I think everyone, especially our audiences, would enjoy Software DJing feeling less like operating a computer, and more like operating traditional gear.

So the general idea so far is to send video from traktor to external USB screens. I'd like to discuss making this into an organized process, to make it more widespread. Something like a program/application specifically meant for sending data from performance software to usb screens, and using a closed laptop

What do you guys think? Anyone have any ability to tangibly help this who would like to get involved? Would anyone support a kickstarter to start an open-source product line for this?

If you don't want a laptop next to the CDJ' why not just burn the songs to cd or a usb pen? If you have CDJ's that take usb and a mixer with effects then what does traktor add to the setup?
    Traktor S4 | Midifighter Classic | 2x CDJ 2000| Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 | Ableton Live 8 | 2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB | Krk RP5

probably can't beatmatch or is an effect whore ...

>>This<< is what a "chackl" on the VDJ forum was working on, but if the guys at smithson martin can make their emulator software display waveforms and be a virtual midi device it should be possible in traktor with some mini touch screens, but I would recommend using VGA instead as usb screens are too slow to refresh.

Also midi can send and recieve text no problems so that might be something worth looking into, although knowing NI it's probably only possible in HID and locked out for everyone but their premium clients like pioneer
    Last edited by synthet1c; 07-27-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I spixed a felling mistake
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

The issue in that first thread is that the track info isn't displayed on the preview browser. This is because it can't send the browser tags info over HID. Hint: push the "info" button, and it'll show you the full track info.

On the 2000, the screen doesn't automatically roll over to the info screen when you load a track, because the waveform is on the HUD.

Banned

Really? Where to even start...
    Software adds the ability to mix on four decks without four CDJs
    Plus the new Remix decks in Traktor
    beatjump
    8 cue points
    effects chaining (just echo freeze alone... i mean really)
    colored wave forms
    FAR more track tag info
    as well as all of the abilities of sync (Seriously, I dunno how you can turn down the ability to switch on sync mode to change the tempos of multiple decks at once.)

What I'm picturing would work much better by just sending video like Clonething... I'm not sure why that guy is even bothering trying to send actual data out of VDJ... It would be much simpler and more versitile to just to do everything with the skinning utility, and then send cloned video to the screen. Why bother with touch controls when you have a hardware controller right there that does the same thing but better....

Most of what you said is either already in Rekordbox, not possible with HID, or just really served better elsewhere (Ableton, mixer effects, etc).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Most of what you said is either already in Rekordbox, not possible with HID, or just really served better elsewhere (Ableton, mixer effects, etc).
    I.... Don't believe you read anything said in this thread whatsoever.

I'm talking about sending a VIDEO feed of the important part of your laptop screen to a mini usb screen. It can be sent from any program really, and will allow you to see only the important info, so that you can perform with this software without having your laptop open on stage. This is very very simple, and can currently be done with Clonething. I'm just talking about streamlining this so it can be used by people who don't want to have to deal with all of the complicated stuff
    Last edited by Saurus; 07-27-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling phail

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    I.... Don't believe you read anything said in this thread whatsoever.

I'm talking about sending VIDEO from any number of music programs to mini screens, so that you can perform with this software without having your laptop open on stage. This is very very simple.
    I answered your initial question above, press the info button.

The comment you quoted was in response to your "advantages of using Traktor" comment.

Banned

I answered your initial question above, press the info button.
    It still doesn't send cue points and loop markers correctly
    still doesn't support four decks, unless you have four CDJs
    still doesn't have colored, zoomable, stereo waveforms which most DJ software does
    doesn't have phase meters for those who like to do things like double drops out of sections without a beat to beatmatch,
    won't tell if looping is on
    doesn't tell you the current loop/move amount
    I can keep going.

The comment you quoted was in response to your "advantages of using Traktor" comment.
    If you still think that list "better served" by a traditional CDJ set up or ableton, then you're over your head here, and you're not who this is targeted at, so don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Saurus; 07-27-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: oops, misquoted

Isn't this supposed to be a Digital DJ forum? Why do we keep banging on about fucking CDJs and Vinyl.

They have their own forums, fucking loads of them.

I switched from Vinyl .... years ago. No big deal. I love using Traktor......... I was stoked when this website/forum was established......... so us DIGITAL Performers could have a voice... without some oldskool wanker dissing our digital tools.

Now I'm all pissed off and need to cheer myself up with an hours mixing of Romantic Techno.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast