Why I hate EDM... - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

*Goes and invests in neon colored sunglasses and striped-stockings*
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    That first track was produced by Necro, whom if you are unfamiliar with has been in the grimiest of underground genres for over a decade. Their is definately a East-Coast style to all of the rappers in the first video, because they're from the East-Coast!

If you had any clue you'd know how the record companies tried to destroy Hip-Hop by BITING the styles of dudes that are still killing it. They made rap to keep the masses dumb and consuming in a marketing strategy the corporations had lined up to take your money.

Eminem's whole schtick was stolen from Cage. The whole drugged out mad-man thing was Cage's shit well before Em and Dre stole it and sold it to millions with the help of mega-corporations.

This current EDM fad is the same concept. The record companies are dipping into your backyard and not giving credit to those who developed the genre(s). You're proud to be a part of it because your killing it at your local Frat party and picking up chicks whom are too damn dumb to see what's really going on. Neither of you know they've been force feeding you what is essentially an advertisement for a lifestyle that huge corporations have set up a marketing trail for you to follow and spend your money.
    http://i.imgur.com/dHJJa.gif

Now we probably shouldn't lock this thread, for fear of censorship.... But holy shit... If you're not trolling, then this is the biggest load of stupid RANDOM shit I've ever read on this forum, and everyone's about to rip you apart for it. You really started a thread on a forum we use to discuss DJing, to drop that horrible little rant about how your music is better than ours? LAWL.

I'm sure there are a lot of cats on this site who feel/know what the recording industry is about and what they're capable of and aren't happy that their ransacking a culture they've been part of for a decade or two. We see fan-boys on this site day in a day out whom the veterans surely chalk up to the "DJ hype" trend that's been exploding in our faces in the last couple of years.

The truth hurts sometimes. I was young and naive and took part in trends in music and fashion, but thankfully REAL ARTISTS like Sage Francis, Buck 65, and Atmosphere made songs about things in life that aren't all "happy go-lucky" party shit. They're doing their part in helping their peers be aware of what's really going on around them.

Obviously my topic title could've been a bit less controversial, but I really don't care. There isn't a lot of useful information or insight on these forums these days anyhow. The Blog on the other hand has great stuff very regularly.

I was kinda hoping some of my fellow Hip-Hop heads would post up some shit they've had on rotation lately as my musical taste has been diluted from getting paid to be a DJ that plays music the dumb-ed down masses want to hear. I don't like my job, but it pays well.
    Last edited by DJ Abide; 07-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub

fair call if EDM means "comlpextro.brostep etc..." (not dance music "techno, house, dnb"), but I'm in Australia so don't get the marketing hype you do and I got in well before that and will be around after the fad is over. Haven't heard any Hip Hop lately I have it stereotyped so don't bother listening to it anymore, I like challenging my stereotypes so I'll check 'em out.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Banned

What....? you're kidding me.... You're literally saying that EDM exists because of hip hop, and EDM is just a pop trend, and it sucks... And then you list some of the worst pop crap.

Those first two videos you posted were ATROCIOUS skill-less pop rap, then you reference Sage francis, Buck 65, and fucking ATMOSPHERE??

I'll give you points for Sage Francis... But half of Buck 65's music heavily utilizes AUTOTUNE, and even the rest of it shares a lot in common with Lil' Wayne and such. And holy fucking shit, don't get me started of Atmosphere. I've never heard anyone who knows ANYTHING about hip hop namedrop Atmosphere. They're generally regarded as music for girls in their early twenties who want to pretend they like hip hop. Slug is widely believed to be a talentless joke, I can't believe you'd use Atmosphere in the same sentence as "good hip hop" when you allege to be a DJ.

Atmosphere has been around for almost 20 years and I agree the direction the music went was a lot more feminine than what I got into it for. But all three of the Felt collaborations are good shit. There were a good number of songs on "You Can't Imagine..." that reflected back to earlier releases in terms of have sound that was "grimier"

Buck 65 samples everything up to and including Amon Duul whom is basically the Pink Floyd of Germany. His style goes far and wide and his DJ accomplice Skratch Bastid can scratch the "Imperial Death March". A LOT of music has used Auto-Tune and Quantization since the 80's. Even current Country songs are Quantized and those hicks really think their mega-stars are talented.

Atmosphere is good Hip-Hop. Let's see some of your credentials since you're such a critic? (By credentials I mean songs you think are good Hip-Hop).

Do you know what this song is about?

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Those first two videos you posted were ATROCIOUS skill-less pop rap.
    Are you aware of what New York City was like when these guys grew up there? Go Google image search what the trains, streets, and boroughs looked like. It's not all Manhattan and Sex in the City. These are some street level dudes whom respect the Hip-Hop culture and are having fun making the music they want to make whether it will sell or not. They aren't striving to be some faux-gangsters. They're sitting around smoking blunts hanging out with like minded individuals and women whom aren't slutty materialistic drama queens.

Sounds like the good life if you ask me.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast