Why I hate EDM... - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dj subculture View Post
    Ofcourse.
    My point was that DJing pre-dates hip-hop.
    Pre-Dates Disco.
    In fact, most of the new dance genres of the last 20 years have been created by DJs.
    Well Djing is just playing tracks. When the radio was invented djing was as well. But what modern djing is was created around the time after disco, right around when house was born.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMeloD View Post
    TRUTH. Often times people confuse the two when they are actually quite different when it comes to subject matter. Very little of the BS that is played on the radio, and that most of these kids listen to nowadays, classifies as "hip-hop". That's where you get all the nonsense about "bling, bitches, etc." Hip-hop, rather, contains subjects of actual meaning instead of placing emphasis on material things as rap does. Just figured I'd attempt to add some clarity to the recurring confusion of the two I've been seeing lately.
    Yea thats right. Hip-hop is a scene, not just a form of music. In hip-hop you have "rappers", turntablests, break dancers and graffiti artests. The music normally has a lot more meaning, but there was a lot of battling amongst hip hop rappers, which sometimes got pretty meaningless, but they had fun, and that was the point. It wasn't about money or hoes, it was about giving inner city youngsters a fun alternative to drugs and violence.

^ I sound very white when I talk about this
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    I sound very white when I talk about this
    LOLL I thought to myself the same thing when I was typing too hahah
    DJ Setup: Serato DJ/(2) Vestax V7/Ecler Nuo 2.0// Production Setup: Logic Pro 9/M-Audio i-Control/M-Audio Keystation Mini 32/NI Audio 2 DJ/13" 2.3GHz MBP 500GB HD OSX Lion/AIAIAI TMA-1/Roland TR-707//

Tech Mentor

Because every young person who lives in da city becomes a coke sniffing thug part of a gang if they don't rap. That's excactly what I mean the "I rap to stay off the streets dawg" mentality, what's that about? Isn't it about the music? Or is that all there is too it, a simple distraction because your life is SOOO hard otherwise.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    I don't know why but I have always been drawn towards "darker" music. It just seems more genuine. Even when I was a kid I liked my music hard. I remember the Motley Crue "Girls, Girls, Girls" vividly with a Kelly Bundy look-a-like hooker under the street light. My 5 disc CD changer in the 4th grade had AC/DC Back in Black and 4 Guns N' Roses albums (G N' R Lies, Appetite for Destruction, and Use Your Illusion 1&2). From there the whole "Seattle Grunge" thing took off and I'd relate a lot of those bands to this same concept of "Real Life" or not ALL happy-go-lucky so to say. I listened to strictly "License to Ill" for almost all of 8th grade (about 7 years after the album was released), the rap thing was taking off and in high school I was very into the mainstream hardcore rap and the "Underground" Chicago gangster rap. Senior year I developed a taste for some "Heavy" rock when Disturbed released their first album. The next few years I was all about Led Zeppelin and The Doors. Moved to AZ and was introduced to some West-Coast "Underground" (The Alkaholiks, Defari, Hiero) and really started digging for new sounds. I found some East-Coast stuff I liked (Beatnuts mostly). When I returned to Chicago I met a friend who turned me onto the whole Indie scene (Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Mr. Lif, and more). I realized that these independent artists had a lot more heart in their music than almost anything I'd heard (with the exception of Led Zeppelin). They were passionate about their craft and toured non-stop to scrape by, most of them are still doing it 10 years later.

It's definitely not for everyone, just like my tolerance for the "Pretty" things. It's just not how the world is. It's the picture the media has painted for modern society. They are selling you what they told you to like. I dunno.

I do apologize for my blunt approach to trying to get a Hip-Hop discussion going amongst a majority of EDM fans, but at the same time I do feel some of this needs to be said to some of these bandwagon types.
    So you've established that you're a head, here's something I don't get about a lot of the real heads.

Why does love for Hip-Hop & love for "EDM" (hate that term BTW, lumping all House\Techno\Trance\Breaks\D&B in with the poppy "Electro" remixes of Rihanna\Beyonce and xit is pretty much the same thing as saying ALL Hip-Hop\Rap = Lil Wayne) and love for Hip-Hop have to be mutually exclusive?

The type of person (me) who finds some solace, empowerment, meaning, enjoyment, whatever out of Hip-Hop would probably find something of value out of GOOD House\Techno\Etc. For me, they are the only two types of music that scratch my itch for the realness. Something in my soul craves fat, grimy ass basslines, tribal beats & syncopation, the pulse and energy of raw music. If you can't find that shit that gets in your bones and makes you nod your head in House, you're listening to the wrong House. I'm telling you, the difference between the commercialized BS "EDM" and the real underground shit is as pronounced as the difference between Nicki Minaj & Black Moon. No comparison, one is art that captures a segment of life and one is trite.

I'll bump my Boom Bap AND my Uhn Tis till I die.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg
    I'll bump my Boom Bap AND my Uhn Tis till I die.
    I'd buy that t-shirt and wear it every day.

There is not a credible musician in the world that doesn't appreciate ALL types of music. Who'd have thought Chris Martin (Coldplay) was a Beastie Boys fan?

If you close your mind to any single type/genre of music you are depriving yourself. As a DJ (ANY DJ), that is just unacceptable. Nod your head to some Country, whatever, enjoy music from ALL genres. Your heart n' soul will thank you for it.
    Last edited by Patch; 07-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    Eminem's whole schtick was stolen from Cage. The whole drugged out mad-man thing was Cage's shit well before Em and Dre stole it and sold it to millions with the help of mega-corporations.

If you knew anything you'd know that Eminem got his style and persona mostly from Esham.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by dj subculture View Post
    Ofcourse.
    My point was that DJing pre-dates hip-hop.
    Pre-Dates Disco.
    In fact, most of the new dance genres of the last 20 years have been created by DJs.
    You can pretty much date DJing(or rather,the modern dance music definition of DJing) to one guy in 1969. so yes, well before hip hop existed.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Tech Mentor

Why I hate Hip-Hop...

Attached Images Attached Images
    13" MBP 2012 | 4 GB RAM | 2.4 GHz Intel i5
    Traktor Pro 2
    M-AUDIO Trigger Finger | Traktor Kontrol S2

Tech Wizard

Everything about this post is just a piss off lol, I grew up in the UK where rap isn't as well knowen as other genres but now living in Canada obvs I've listened to a fair bit of it... most of it is complete crap, why do I care if you girl has a big ass, you have gold teeth and have fired some guns lol, now just because alot of it seems like ego rapping, i'm not saying there isn't good rap, Jurrasic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, but to say Djing wouldn't exhist without Hip-Hop\Rap is complete BS, "SOMEONE" needs to do some music history classes, if anything, without DJ's, rap wouldn't be where it is today, look back at any live rap shows on youtube all those who made a name for themself have a Dj to accompany them, Djing came from disco, djing was playing records live any genre, rock, pop, dance, electronica etc. . .

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast