Fitting in to a differ style in the DJ world
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Fitting in to a differ style in the DJ world

ok, so i was living in fort lauderdale, before i moved to tampa. in lauderdale i was a reggae/hip hop dj, and it went pretty well. some parties it was me and my brother or another person in our crew, me running the tables and they were the mic/hype man. other parties i would just mix and occasionally hit the mic. well now since moving out to tampa, the scene here seems far different. i see less reggae hip hop urban clubs, and manyy clubs based on dubstep, house, trance, and similar. now my thing is i want to get out and start playing at parties again, being that music is my only get away, but how do i fit in to this scene? do i change my whole style of music, because then i would really need to do my homework and build up my music box with those genres, or do i just say screw it and go another route as just doing mixtapes and bedroom dj, with the style im used too. and dont get me wrong im willing to learn a new style but the problem with that is, i have no idea where to start on getting that type of music. any ideas?

depends on what is more important to you: playing the music you like most or you simply playing out?

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    depends on what is more important to you: playing the music you like most or you simply playing out?
    yes please...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    sounds weird, but thats kind of hard to choose. i love music period, so i guess i wouldnt say its the type of music i *like most*. its more what ive built a familiarity around, what i know more of. now playing out is just great, the feeling of knowing you have everyone's attention and you are the life of the party. i know something is going to have to give with this decision. i dont know if that was a good answer?

Sounds like you really like the idea of playing out. Build up a collection of tunes from those genres and maybe you'll start to enjoy them. Once you've got a big enough collection, get back to partying!
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

If you turn it on it's head.

Playing music you DON'T like is definitely not going to work

ybor city is the place to go. plenty of clubs. i guess there must be at least one club with hip hop and all that jazz
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Have you considered hosting and promoting your own night?

Tech Wizard

firebr4nd
    i actually do enjoy playing out, it was something fun to do, and it was me doing what i like for others to enjoy also, i have been trying to make the attempt to build a collect but don't know where to begin

Timbo21
    i wouldnt say i dont like the music, ive actually listened to different mixes, and i dont dislike it. i just havent been around it as much as others, people and or djs, to tell whos track it is, and stuff. but i agree with that statement.

Ed Paris
    i know about ybor, its just that the one or two clubs that i know of with the music, has their rolling events with resident djs, which are also tied to the radio station.

rdale
    ive thought of that but feel as if i dont know enough people around here, friend wise to do so. maybe i should network more, get in the lab, and come out futher down the road.

do both... have your reggae/hip hop stuff in your bedroom/radio show and play some house/trance/wubstep in clubs, maybe you can mix in some reggae with house or something. check out juno download or beatport among other sites to get some good tracks or to simply everything just download all of my tracks trololol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast