Buying Speakers....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Buying Speakers....

So I have finally saved up enough money for speakers so I am not always borrowing someone else's. I have about 600 - 700 dollars to spend I have no idea which direction to walk in. Can someone with knowledge or idea help a guy out?

What size crowd will you want them to handle? Active (powered) or passive (separate components)?

You may need to save up a little more. Decent powered speakers are around $1000/pair. You will also need stands and cables ($100-200 for stands and $25-40 for cables). Better IMO to get quality the first time.

You may be able to find used in your budget by watching Craigslist.

Mackie Thumps are mentioned alot as a budget powered speaker about $700/pair. I think in the middle price range JBL and RCF are good.
    I saved up and got RCF 312's and am saving now for a sub.
    Last edited by VanGogo; 07-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Tech Convert

crowd usually outdoor house parties of 70-100... and im looking for passive because I do have and amp. If I do go the craiglist route is there a certain brand or type... I just dont have much knowledge in this and have been trying to gather info

Sorry I did some research on active speakers and I know diddly squat about passive speakers and amps etc.

I do know you will need to let people know what kind of amp and the specs so they can help you out.

Tech Convert

ok cool thanks my friend...

Tech Wizard

I have used JBL JRX115's for the past 6 years. They have handled most of the abuse I have thrown at them. Should be under $300 per speaker. I do lots of events both indoors and outdoors. For 75-100 outdoors, they have been great. They aren't the lightest speaker, but the build quality of the cabinet is reassuring when loading in and out.

Keep an eye on the tweeters, I replaced both of mine eventually with better alternatives after blowing both of them at bigger events. I have run them off of different amps, mixers and they sound nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Devour View Post
    crowd usually outdoor house parties of 70-100... and im looking for passive because I do have and amp. If I do go the craiglist route is there a certain brand or type... I just dont have much knowledge in this and have been trying to gather info
    IMO passive are bad for any "live" scenario. You could have 4 speaker wired to an amp, but if the amp doesn't work, it doesn't matter how many speakers you have because none of them will work.

Active speakers, no problem. One of them blows, the rest run independently.

Just like VanGogo, I can offer insight on active, but not passive.

Active speakers are also optimized for the load and the speaker config so you get more dB for the bucks. With Neos the speakers are pretty light, as well. Unless you want to save money go for a modern active speaker system. I assume we are talking about PA speakers

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    IMO passive are bad for any "live" scenario. You could have 4 speaker wired to an amp, but if the amp doesn't work, it doesn't matter how many speakers you have because none of them will work.

Active speakers, no problem. One of them blows, the rest run independently.

Just like VanGogo, I can offer insight on active, but not passive.
    this, Active is the way to go. If you dont want to worry about upgrading the speakers or amp in the next few years I would sell the amp and look at active speakers. Also running a Passive system correctly takes a lot more planning then simply buying a few active speakers.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Convert

seems like active are the way to go.. are there any that (In your opinions) are optimal for my price range?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast