Buying Speakers.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I love my thumps. 2 brand new are right in your price range
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    IMO passive are bad for any "live" scenario.

You do realize most large scale "live" shows use passive gear, right? Passive gear is also less of a hassle if it breaks. You can't field replace an active speaker - but if a passive amp goes, you slide it out and slide the new one in - or quickly re-wire your system so that another amp helps power that speaker.

Passive isn't always cheaper when it comes to low end gear, but it's much more cost effective and flexible as you start getting into high end consumer and low end commercial grade sound.

If you can afford a back up amp that might be the way to go, but Active is a lot less hassle for a mobile DJ to set up
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    You do realize most large scale "live" shows use passive gear, right?
    As a trained live sound technician I'm aware of this, but we're not talking about "large scale". On a small scale, you're better off going active. If you're talking about a large scale show like a Rolling Stones concert where there's ample time to do sound checks, not to mention multiple amplifiers (this is key), it's a completely different scenario. There are ways around having one non-functioning amp, having more than one amp offers the flexibility for a workaround. But as a small setup where one amp is all you have, you're putting all your eggs into one basket.

Passive gear is also less of a hassle if it breaks. You can't field replace an active speaker - but if a passive amp goes, you slide it out and slide the new one in - or quickly re-wire your system so that another amp helps power that speaker.
    This statement is completely subjective. Where is this "hypothetical" amp that you replace the "broken" amp with? What if there isn't one available? I don't think this is a very good reason for passive being better. If you have 4 powered speakers and 1 breaks, as long as the 3 you're running are good quality and loud enough to handle a little more volume, that 1 non-working speaker should be negligible...So really, you shouldn't have to find another one.

You're attempting to say that passive is better because you can use any amp, assuming that you have a backup readily available...But the same could be said for having an active speaker readily available as a backup...They're both completely IDEAL scenario's. I suppose it's more likely that someone would have an amplifier in their home rather than an active speaker, but that's still hoping for the "ideal" scenario. As a mobile DJ, you can't hope for the best, you either have to have your back up in place (bring an extra amp with you), or use active and hope that if one breaks the rest are good enough to carry the party without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Devour View Post
    seems like active are the way to go.. are there any that (In your opinions) are optimal for my price range?
    Are you looking to get two or one? Good quality or cheap quality? If you're a mobile DJ, and you do weddings and corporate events, I would say quality is key, not because anybody will notice the sound quality (because let's face it, a large majority of them won't), but because you don't want something crapping out on you on and having the client make a BIG deal out of it. If that's the case, I would recommend, Yorkville NX55P's, or E10P's (for something smaller, although they're about the same price around here). RCF's, QSC's, Yamaha DXR, or DSR line, JBL PRX (the powered line, not passive if that's what you're looking for).

If it's just for fun, to do friends events or the odd house party, I guess anything will do, because if you're DJ'ing for free, or if it's for friends, they won't get their panties in a bunch. For that I would suggest the already mentioned Mackie Thumps, various models of Behringer can be had for $700/pair, Samson's, Alto, Or even the Mackie SRM V2 line which can be had for a little more. The SRM V1's as far as I know, were once made with RCF components, but are now made in China and so they've taken a serious hit to their sound quality and build quality...But some people still consider them to be good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    If you can afford a back up amp that might be the way to go, but Active is a lot less hassle for a mobile DJ to set up
    To the OP, to be totally honest, since you have an amp, this might be your best bet. That is, if you care about having a back up. If you don't, just get some speakers and rock out with your amp. If you do, maybe consider this before buying a set of powered speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    IMO passive are bad for any "live" scenario. You could have 4 speaker wired to an amp, but if the amp doesn't work, it doesn't matter how many speakers you have because none of them will work.
    This is why it's generally a good idea to use an amp that works.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    This is why it's generally a good idea to use an amp that works.
    Yea that would help.

I think of it this way. With a 4 speaker passive setup, when the amp goes the floor stops. You unhook everything in the middle of you set, and replace the amp - about 5mins of silence.
    With a 4 speaker active setup, one speaker (or amp) goes and you have 3 more running fine and no down time. just carry on and worry about it at the end of the night

Tech Mentor

KRK's may not be the best out there for what you can get with that much money, but they are a well known brand and therefore have decent warranty and let's face it... They wouldn't be well known if they weren't good. Go with 2X KRK Rokit 8 G2 and once you've saved up, buy the KRK Rokit 10 Sub.
    13" MBP 2012 | 4 GB RAM | 2.4 GHz Intel i5
    Traktor Pro 2
    M-AUDIO Trigger Finger | Traktor Kontrol S2

KrK's for an outdoor party with 70-100 people?? Why? They are studio monitors.. If you're going to spend the money get some PA speakers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast