Little help with my new setup....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Little help with my new setup....

Ok. So as im waiting here for my new Xone62 to show up, im having a few questions. I realized that my new MacBook Pro (non retina) has USB 3. So I had to rule out getting an Audio 8 as I hear there are some issues with them, and I went right for the Audio 10, so thats in the mail as we speak. So heres my current set up...

Macbook Pro
    2 NI X1's
    NI Audio 10 Soundcard
    A&H Xone62

Now, since my MBP only has two USB3.0 ports, im going to need to purchase a USB hub. Do I need to purchase a USB 3.0 or can I just use a USB2.0 hub or does it really matter? Anyone run into this?

Im not totally sure, but I think because everything you're using is made for 2.0 you should be fine with a 2.0 hub
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Im not totally sure, but I think because everything you're using is made for 2.0 you should be fine with a 2.0 hub
    Also make sure that it's powered, since your X1's will need to draw power from them.

Also I remember reading on here a while ago that you should plug the audio card directly into a USB port, not into the hub. To avoid decreasing interference or performance or something like that.

So by powered, do you mean it will have its own seperate power supply for it?

Tech Mentor

USB Hubs are powered from the Laptop/PC they are connected to, therefore you do not need to find a 'Powered USB Hub'. USB 3.0 works with USB 2.0, it's just that USB 3.0 is a little faster and is becoming the industry standard. So it does not matter what kind of USB Hub you get.

To answer more simply, USB 2.0 is compatible with USB 3.0.

EDIT: But you should always plug the sound card directly into the computer, because as someone said before me, plugging it in through a USB Hub can cause decreased performance, output and interference.

Hope I helped.
    13" MBP 2012 | 4 GB RAM | 2.4 GHz Intel i5
    Traktor Pro 2
    M-AUDIO Trigger Finger | Traktor Kontrol S2

Tech Wizard

yes, he means make sure the hub is powered, meaning it has its own ac adapter. However, this is more of a reliability thing, my usb 2 macbook with an unpowered usb 2 hub can connect to 2xCDJs(they have their own power supply so it doesn't matter for them), as well as an X1 and an F1, and everything works fine as long as my sound card is not plugged into the hub. if i am gigging out with all that crap, i would definitely use a powered hub!

Quote Originally Posted by FILTHZ View Post
    USB Hubs are powered from the Laptop/PC they are connected to, therefore you do not need to find a 'Powered USB Hub'. USB 3.0 works with USB 2.0, it's just that USB 3.0 is a little faster and is becoming the industry standard. So it does not matter what kind of USB Hub you get.

To answer more simply, USB 2.0 is compatible with USB 3.0.
    2.0 is not always compatible with 3.0 -- otherwise there wouldn't be so many issues with new macbook pros, usb3.0 and NI audio interfaces. There are many more devices not compatible with 3.0 due to drivers, hardware or who knows.

Go with a 2.0 powered usb hub.

Quote Originally Posted by FILTHZ View Post
    USB Hubs are powered from the Laptop/PC they are connected to, therefore you do not need to find a 'Powered USB Hub'.
    Woah don't listen to that nonsense.. Yes the hub will draw power from the laptop, but that is more of a reason to buy a powered hub. Any hardware you use that isn't powered (Harddrive, X1, F1, MF....) then you want a powered hub with it's own power supply. This way you will not rely on drawing all that power from your laptop.

I used to have a setup with a non powered controller, a Midi fighter and Dicers. When I had a non powered hub all the LED's would be dimmer than usual and there was a lag in traktor. Once I got a powered hub everything was gravy. Plus the hub I got can be used both ways
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Whats a good powered hub to purchase. Looking around and havent seen any that have their own power supply. Thanks!

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...3&subid=357387

Thats what I have. a cheap 7 port hub, and it hasn't failed me yet. I like the 2 top ports, the one I plug a gooseneck LED light into and is really helpful in dark basement gigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast