Technics 1210 - DISASTER at the powder coaters!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Technics 1210 - DISASTER at the powder coaters!!! [NOW WTH PICS]

I thought I'd found a bargain - £70 to powder coat 4 deck plates, and 4 sets of tonearm pieces.

They messed it right up! After I showed them how to mask off the sensitive parts of the tonearm (bearings, etc..) the powder coaters sprayed over THE WHOLE parts!!! So now I've got FOUR sets of completely useless tone arm pieces (3 parts per tone arm).

The good news is, they gave me a full refund and have said they will pay for the 4 new tone arm assemblies.

So I've got a couple of questions for the modders (looking at you, djlotus and Xonetacular ):

1) The powder coaters said they could not sandblast/shot blast the plates because they were made of aluminium, so they just seanded them back. Is this true? Have you had deck plates blasted prior to powder coating/painting?

2) Do your sprayers/powder coaters mask off the tone arm pieces for you, or do you mask them yourselves and drop them off pre-masked?

I'm not put off - I still have 4 decks that need re-building! But I think I'll go to a paint sprayer (auto/wet paint) for the next job...

I'm just gutted that I'll be set back for a few weeks.
    Last edited by Patch; 08-01-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Got pics?

Couldn't really tell you as i have not had any decks professionally powder coated or painted and I haven't bothered messing with painting the tone arm parts. It's more hassle than it's worth.

As far as not being able to sand blast/bead blast aluminum goes. I've done it before and wouldn't hesitate to do it on my decks. Not sure where that comes from that you can't do it on aluminum.

1- hmm never heard of this, pretty sure u can blast and coat aluminum all day long. my faceplates and tone arm parts where blasted. I've had aluminum bike parts powder coated maaaany o time with no issue. I bet they didnt have the right kind of abrasive for aluminum blasting, that is more likely.

2 - I taped it off the tone arm parts to show them where I wanted them to mask it, then they went back and did a shittier job, getting coating on my lil bearings and stuff, I had to clean it all up with a scribe afterwards. It was a pain, but it worked out. The fixed little spikey pieces in the swivel parts, I just had them coat those, seems fine coated. If i did it again, I would tape it up myself with vinyl powder coating tape, because I think I would do a better job than those guys.

but yeah, good luck, powdercoating the faceplates i think is def worth the effort, cuz u know, paint is bound to chip, its only a matter o time.

Xone - no point in pics - it looks like shit. I'm gutted.

piz - what kind of abrasive powder/grit do you need to blast aluminium? I'll make sure the next place I go to use it!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Im not sure what they used on mine, i think glass beads? heres a lil more info… http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm
    i would just call around and tell them what you are trying to do, and just skip anyone that treats you like your dumb for asking about coating aluminum electronic parts… lifes to short fo that bs!

Is there an operational difference related powder coating versus any other type of paint?

yeah, powder coating is a whole other processes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating
    most electronic aluminum is anodized, thats even better

piz - I think next time I'll do the masking myself. Also - anyone know if baking the parts in the oven will affect the bearings? Xone - re: not coating the tone arm pieces - that's crossed my mind many, many times today...

I was asking whether the turntables performed differently in any way.

Then no - it's purely cosmetic...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast