What's your inspiration?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's your inspiration?

Hey DJTT I was just sitting here and thought,Hmm, I think it would be cool to hear how people were inspired into the DJ/Music production world. It would be cool if you guys would post a small story on how you got started. I also thought I would post how I got inspired too.One day I was on youtube looking up MW2 videos and someone had some dubstep along with there video. but as we all know dubstep hasnt been around too long and surely hasnt been in the mainstream till now so i had no clue what type of music i was listening to. then i looked it up and found out it was called Dubstep. the song was called "Sierra Leone" by Mt.Eden. this is probably my favorite song to this day. after i found out it was dubstep i typed in dubstep on my ipod and found a song but it didnt say the artist. it was known as " scary monsters and nice sprites" So around this time one year ago I went to a summer camp and had a blast. the music was awesome. when i listened to the music i noticed they were playing "scary monsters and nice sprites" so i went and asked who it was by. the guy said skrillex. when i went home i looked him up and loved the music. then i got into dubstep a lot. then in about november i went to a party and this guy was using virtual dj so i went home and got it.after playing around for about a week i googled "what does skrillex use" foundout what he does and all that stuff so i got ableton intro and a launchpad and a mpk 25 mini then about 3 months ago i thought i want ableton suite but couldnt afford it so i thought id get into DJing to get gigs and get money...yes it set me back more than what the software was itself but if i didnt do that i wouldnt be into DJing. and now i love it with a huge passion. i cant wait to add more and more to my setup
    Thnx for hearing my story. post your own ones too

Tech Wizard

I've played the guitar for about 7-8 years (I think I know every jack Johnson song to date..)
    And used to write my own stuff. Not in the lyrical sense but simply tunes.

This is just a new medium for me to express myself. It's simply like learning a new instrument.

Also, to me you're doing this for the wrong reasons. Money and wanting to be just like someone will get you no where; if I can put a mix up that gets a few positive comments from my friends in the process of relaxing and just jamming, I'm 100% stoked.
    If someone downloads my mix for there car, Im absolutely over the moon!

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by crckrs; 07-30-2012 at 02:36 AM.

When I was 14, a friend (older brother of one of my friends actually, whom I'm actually closer with now than then his younger brother lol) gave myself, and a couple friends a listen to some CD's he had. One was a random mix, but I remember the first song succinctly; Dune - Starchild. The others were some Underworld, Orbital, The Crystal Method, and The Chemical Brother's CD's. He'd recently taken a trip to England, and had come back with a ton of crazy stuff.

Well it didn't take long to start listening to that on a regular basis, and around that time I was also wicked into Aphex Twin, whom I still love to this day. (Did you know Richard D. James ended up buying a tank? Pretty damned awesome).

I've been going to shows off and on now for years. Sometimes I don't make it out to all the local events, but I've always managed to hit one or two big shows every year. (WEMF, Ultra, Starscape). Planning on expanding that list soon. Back in college, I even ran a radio show for a little while. Backwoods of Vermont, but I had fun doing it at least.

About 4 years ago, I really got reinvigorated with the local scene though I'd say.

Mixing wise though? That was probably... the end of 2009 when I started getting into it, started doing my research. I was playing iTunes playlists for people online, and realized I wanted to step it up. At that point, two of my good friends had invested into turntables and software solutions (SSL and Torq) and so I got to mess around on there, and I spent a lot of time researching what I wanted to get, and that's how I found this forum as well.

Fast forward to saving up until the middle of last year, and then finally being able to get my dream setup. 1200's, Serato, Rane TTM-56 mixer (I had gotten a Macbook Pro earlier in the year as well, planned mainly for DJing purposes, because my old computer died).

I've started going to more and more shows, and now I go out probably 3-5 times a week, am a promoter, and I've gotten one gig under my belt and have at least one more booked, others in the works. It's fun, it's sometimes work, but in the end, it's what I love. I love sharing music with people, and I'm working HARD on getting my technical skills to where I want to be. It's not easy though, but at least I know after years and years of being passionate about this, that this passion isn't going anywhere. My strength is my selection, my challenge is making what I have in my mind happen with the tables.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Years of drug use, music obsession and countless parties.....or to put it differently (and quote the impeccable Douglas Adams): Life, the universe & everything!
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I am not just in it for the money, this is a very fun and awesome hobby, i didnt realize it until i looked itno it more. before i didnt understand it and now im in it for the fun, not the monet and i feel the same way about my mixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by crckrs View Post
    I've played the guitar for about 7-8 years (I think I know every jack Johnson song to date..)
    And used to write my own stuff. Not in the lyrical sense but simply tunes.

This is just a new medium for me to express myself. It's simply like learning a new instrument.

Also, to me you're doing this for the wrong reasons. Money and wanting to be just like someone will get you no where; if I can put a mix up that gets a few positive comments from my friends in the process of relaxing and just jamming, I'm 100% stoked.
    If someone downloads my mix for there car, Im absolutely over the moon!

Just my 2c.

To try and save the world from other shitty DJs who have no idea what they are doing.

Yes:d
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbay View Post
    to try and save the world from other shitty djs who have no idea what they are doing.

When I was very young I used to hear a lot on the local news about acid hose parties in Blackburn (near Manchester in the UK, it's where it all started round here!!!). At the time I was trying to learn guitar but I'm way too impatient for that and then I saw a DMC world mixing championships video at a friends house and I was hooked.

About 1993 I met someone who had some decks and that was me, I started buying records from a local record shop every Saturday then I went down to my mates house and spent the night playing them... those were the days!!!

Since then, I went on to play my 1st gig at an under 18's event, in 1994 and I went from there. In the early days I used to think that it was my fave DJ's used to inspire me, Slipmatt, Carl Cox, Ellis Dee and numerous others, but now when I look back it's always been the music that they were playing that served as the real inspiration, new styles and sounds, different production techniques, these days producers like Neighbour and Pete Herbert are really doing the business but if I had to think about it from the past 18 years I could probably name a top 10 of producers or DJ's that made and played their own sound that have inspired me to play their music and pushed my sound in a different direction.

But just before you think it was all a waste, I was at one point a pretty successful happy hardcore DJ, and then when I moved into playing house music I was DJ'ing professionally for about a year, that would have been about 2004 when I've warmed up for Groove Armada, Felix da Housecat, Shapeshifters and K-Klass, I've also been on the same bill as Danny Rampling, Harry Choo Choo Romero, Erick Morillo and others. It's been a while since I've done a proper gig, in fact my 1st for 3 years is at Venus in Manchester in 2 weeks, so all is not lost.

Still looking for inspiration though, because after all none of us would be doing this if there was nobody to inspire us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    To try and save the world from other shitty DJs who have no idea what they are doing.
    No comment, just quoting this.

My inspiration was living in a party house at college. My housemates and I would throw parties (gatherings to ragers, but always booze, pong, and often dancing) Thursday through Saturday unless we were off to a party elsewhere. As you might imagine, it got a bit old after a while of this so I began thinking of ways to still be social and involved with the party while not just drinking myself into oblivion. So, I decided to give "that DJing thing a shot." I searched for somewhere to do my research on the topic (I research just about everything in my life) and stumbled onto DJTechTools. The VCI-100 seemed like the best choice and the DJTT community had enough support around it to make me want that hunk of metal on my desk immediately.

I got a VCI-100 for my birthday and picked up some headphones and a soundcard and went to it. I found myself wanting to practice during parties, so I gave it a shot. It sounded horrible, I'm sure, and my musical taste was a bit questionable at the time, but with drunk friends as an audience I managed to improve over time and enjoy myself while doing it. I was pretty mediocre for a while, but DJing was serving its purpose for me so I was happy. I was fascinated by DJing, but I didn't understand it at all yet.

There were a few other DJs on campus, and while I was improving... they were better. I've always been pretty competitive, so I wasn't about to let that slide. That said, I didn't know what to do about it. I'd practice some, but I couldn't seem to find good EDM no matter how hard I searched and I got frustrated and felt like I wasn't going anywhere with DJing.

I watched a bunch of DanceTrippin.tv to try to pick up some techniques from the pros. I learned a lot by watching Richie Hawtin, but most of the videos on there didn't have a good enough angle to see the equipment properly. At some point, I found Pioneer DJ Sounds showing Laidback Luke and Carl Cox mixing. My God was I impressed. These guys were pulling off mixes with CDJs and a mixer that I couldn't even dream of doing, even with the power of Traktor at my fingers. I studied the mixes meticulously, tried to imitate what techniques I could, and then started experimenting with some techniques of my own. I'd occasionally jam with some of the other DJs on campus, and I practiced more than I ever had before.

Still, syncing with my VCI (and later my APC40, then S4) didn't feel fulfilling. It was good to get the fundamentals of looping, phrasing, cueing, etc. down, but it didn't feel quite right. So, I started beatmatching manually with the S4. It felt good, but with pitch faders that small it was slightly cumbersome and still felt like I was just matching BPM. Eventually I picked up a Mackie d.4 Pro and a Technics 1200 and that's when my mixing became substantially better. The EQs on the mixer felt like they had much more effect than the s4 and the sound coming out of the mixer just felt much more lush and warm (placebo effect or not, I'm not here to debate that in this thread). Aside from that, manipulating actual vinyl and having a sizable pitch fader made me feel much more connected to the music. At this point I practiced daily and started recording my mixes and listening back to them - another huge step for my improvement.

There's no other way to describe the feeling of mixing with DVS and beatmatching vinyl for the first time other than just legit. I felt like a proper DJ and that was thrilling. Even playing to my bedroom wall, I felt more in touch with the music than ever before. That was inspiring - to feel like I actually had the music underneath my hands instead of just on my computer screen; midi control just didn't compare for me. I'm currently using an X1, a DJM900, and technics 1200s. While I don't practice quite as much as before, I really feel much more on top of my DJing and more in command. I feel free to be creative and take risks with my mixes. I don't feel bound to formulae and rules for mixing - I actually feel creative now.

The best inspiration all along though? That was back when I was DJing our house parties. I had no idea what I was doing and I probably had no business being behind the decks. But, seeing people get pumped when I mixed in a new track, or hearing people tell me afterward that they really liked my mix... That's what keeps me going.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast