Pre-mixing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-mixing?

Default Pre-mixing?

Hello DTT World!

First post so take it easy (don't you hate when ppl do that lol?) ANYWAY, I am just learning how to DJ so I got a tun of questions. I am a engineer/producer (not arranger) so obviously im not happy with just turning down the lows on deck 1 and crossfading to deck 2 to call myself a DJ (sorry if I offended anyone lol).

To the point- how uncommon is it to pre-mix a few of your songs/vs before going on live? Not like just a play though or anything but a full blow remix and just hitting play and maybe adding a few samples and filters here and there?

Like i said, im new to DJing and i just got Virtual DJ to play with for now with a basic Numark controller. Im not sure if its just Virtual DJ but 3 cues are not enough. My friend will be giving me his old Xponet and Torq next week; so im just playing and getting used to VDJ for now. Ive heard of Serato Live and that is pretty powerful; but at the same time, i see most of the DJ/produces I admire using ableton live?

Like i said, im a n00b so any help, threads, tips, pointers, ect would be of great value!

Thx,
    -iridium

Quote Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
    Hello DTT World!

First post so take it easy (don't you hate when ppl do that lol?) ANYWAY, I am just learning how to DJ so I got a tun of questions. I am a engineer/producer (not arranger) so obviously im not happy with just turning down the lows on deck 1 and crossfading to deck 2 to call myself a DJ (sorry if I offended anyone lol).

To the point- how uncommon is it to pre-mix a few of your songs/vs before going on live? Not like just a play though or anything but a full blow remix and just hitting play and maybe adding a few samples and filters here and there?

Like i said, im new to DJing and i just got Virtual DJ to play with for now with a basic Numark controller. Im not sure if its just Virtual DJ but 3 cues are not enough. My friend will be giving me his old Xponet and Torq next week; so im just playing and getting used to VDJ for now. Ive heard of Serato Live and that is pretty powerful; but at the same time, i see most of the DJ/produces I admire using ableton live?

Like i said, im a n00b so any help, threads, tips, pointers, ect would be of great value!

Thx,
    Is this for real?

I would have figured as a producer/engineer, you would know that playing a pre-recorded set, is the equivalent of someone lip-syncing.

Two of the key skills involved with "DJ'ing" per se, are "mixing" and "track selection". Without the "mixing" you're just a glorified human jukebox.

I kinda read it as he wants to make a remix or re-edit of a track with embelishments and samples, which I think is fine. If you're premixing 3 tracks and adding smaples then it's kinda cheating in my book but re-editing or adding to a track using a DAW to make it unique is fine in my book.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I kinda read it as he wants to make a remix or re-edit of a track with embelishments and samples, which I think is fine. If you're premixing 3 tracks and adding smaples then it's kinda cheating in my book but re-editing or adding to a track using a DAW to make it unique is fine in my book.
    Yea idk, i was thinking its kinda like cheating too lol. Its just that im so limited to what I can do right now with the little knowledge i do have about DJing and Virtual DJ. Anyone have any links or tips about setting up pre-cues and samples? I guess I'm looking for a template kinda thing that will just automatically load every time for each song? maybe even set up a few different templates (temp1, temp2, ect)???

Remember everyone was a n00b at first, thats Y i'm asking
    -iridium

Thats it.... Im ordering tracker right meow.
    -iridium

Thats it.... Im ordering tracker right meow.
    what is tracker?
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    what is tracker?
    wtf is everyone here just a complete dick?
    -iridium

wtf is everyone here just a complete dick?
    I'm not being a dick what is tracker is it software,hardware
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    I'm not being a dick what is tracker is it software,hardware
    Yeah, I'm curious as well.

Remember everyone was a n00b at first
    Yup, like a lot of other people here I started on on two turntables and a mixer and had to teach myself how to mix and work through it.

Take the hint

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast