Controller DJs in ciities like NYC, Vegas, LA, etc...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Controller DJs in ciities like NYC, Vegas, LA, etc...

Anyone know of any DJs doing weekly gigs, residencies, etc... using controllers in bigger cities? I have been back and forth on the whole controller thing over the years and really am wanting to get one and get back to work DJing. I live in Dallas and here everyone is on Serato and 1200s. I used to be as well, I just love the simplicity of throwing a controller in my bag and going.

I am sure this questions has been asked by many... Just would love more feedback.

I spin pretty open format... Top 40, Hip Hop, Electro, Old School, Rock... you name it. (if that matters).

Tech Mentor

nah not really, everyone uses CDJS or 1200s. But in my very humble opinion it just doesnt matter. I use an S2 and am switching to the VCI-380. I can set my controller on top of a cdj/1200 via laptop stand and hook in to an open channel and boom I'm in. way easier. I like using my own gear. I spin top 40 in Denver. I bring my controller everywhere. I imagine if you have enough pull the club/promoter wont care what you use as long as you rock the house.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the input and feedback... What made you decided to switch from the S2 to the VCI 380? That has been another decision I am needing to make. I dont have either yet.

hell, the techno scene here still kind of looks down on DJs who use CDJs.

That said, the more mainstream dance music scene uses CDs and if you're a big enough name you seem to get a pass (no one looks down on Jeff Mills for using 4 CDJs on occasion). And at the Electronic Music Festival this year people were using controllers pretty extensively among the Bass music DJs.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    I can set my controller on top of a cdj/1200 via laptop stand and hook in to an open channel and boom I'm in.
    I'd probably stop you from playing and tell everyone not to book your for a while until you get more experience for not being considerate enough to care for other peoples equipment. In a small area that doesn't provide room, you should be talking to sound guys/promoters to make arrangements to get some room for you. CDJ's have pressure sensitive plates, and shouldn't be used to rest anything on top of.

Phatmatt, I'm from Dallas and I spin EDM only (not that it makes me cool or anything), playing on an S4. My point in saying that though, is that in my experience, if you're playing top 40 and hip-hop, there should be a ton of gigs out there waiting no matter what you play on. With EDM places, I feel as though its different; its CDJs and Serato or (every once in a while) Traktor. If you don't play on those, you don't get booked anywhere. No one in Dallas that I know of plays on a controller and get's booked; it's just the closed-minded-ness of the DJ's who have been spinning in Dallas for the past ten years (namely the Lizard Lounge).
    James Rizen - Trance / Prog House / Electro House / Tech House

Sounds: www.Soundcloud.com/Jamesrizen | www.Mixcloud.com/victoryrisen
    Website/Social Networking: www.Jamesrizen.com | www.Onesheet.com/Jamesrizen | www.Facebook.com/Jamesrizen | www.Twitter.com/Jamesrizen

depends ... Im from LA and ive got some good bookings on hollywood blvd. In the techno scene, the use of controllers are ok as long as you know what your doing. I started with a numark total control and lpd8 and would take that setup with me to the clubs and hook it up into their mixer. Now im rocking the x1 and most other local talents do as well. Not frowned upon unless you dont know what youre doing.

tonight imma be rocking out at the King King with just my x1 and lappy.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    depends ... Im from LA and ive got some good bookings on hollywood blvd. In the techno scene, the use of controllers are ok as long as you know what your doing. I started with a numark total control and lpd8 and would take that setup with me to the clubs and hook it up into their mixer. Now im rocking the x1 and most other local talents do as well. Not frowned upon unless you dont know what youre doing.

tonight imma be rocking out at the King King with just my x1 and lappy.
    heres a taste of our scene here ...

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Guru

It totally depends on the club owner but I'd venture to say that the majority will want you to use SSL. Nobody wants to risk an equipment failure so they practically require you to use their gear. That way if it fails they'll know it's their fault, not yours.

I booked with a bar once who didn't hire any PC users...only Mac or 100% CD because the last few PC users had crash issues and their Mac users never crashed mid-gig. I think the whole concept a bit silly, but I'm not interested in telling anybody how to run their business.

I'm certainly not counting on any bar/club owners to get to know my gear. They don't have time to stay up on S4s and the like... The shortcut for them is for you to use what they know. And they know TTs/CDJs.

@sobi

Decksavers?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djphatmatt View Post
    Thanks for the input and feedback... What made you decided to switch from the S2 to the VCI 380? That has been another decision I am needing to make. I dont have either yet.
    really the main reason is a few clubs that are wanting me to play also use video and traktor still doesnt do video. And the VCI is a tank. I love it. I love my S2 but Im selling it when I get use to my VCI

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I'd probably stop you from playing and tell everyone not to book your for a while until you get more experience for not being considerate enough to care for other peoples equipment. In a small area that doesn't provide room, you should be talking to sound guys/promoters to make arrangements to get some room for you. CDJ's have pressure sensitive plates, and shouldn't be used to rest anything on top of.
    let me rephrase my statement. Mount a laptop stand on that sits ABOVE one of the CDJs and mount my controller on top of that so Im out of the way and not sitting on anyone elses equipment. thats what I meant. Ive done that on many occasions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast