Forbes Article - "How Hard is DJing?"
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Forbes Article - "How Hard is DJing?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalier...count-to-four/

I know I shouldn't care, but this article came close to infuriating me anyway.

Most of it is sadly true now though... I don't wanna get on some 'dinosaur' rant about 'easy tech' and 'kids have it easy', but, well... you know

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Lol @ deadmau5, he so badass he can beatmatch, phrase dj and land a proffesional mix in one hour. He is saying he went from a noob to a pro in one hour. that cocky attitude like he's the best artist who ever lived may work with those blogs but frankly it doesn't mean shit to me or actual proper dj's im guessing.

doesn't he mainly use ableton when playing live?

SoundCloud

It's pretty obvious that controllerism is the future. DJ'ing is dead as far as I'm concerned. There is still a place for it but it's pretty much done.

You either have to put on some kind of show, or mix your own unique sounds.

You have to look at technology that makes DJ'ing easy as a good thing. Instead of seeing it as a way to make it easy for noobs, you have to see it as a way to free you up from the mundane tasks of DJ'ing so you can do more complex and unique routines.

Just like in school, a calculator takes care of the mundane arithmetic so you can concentrate on more advanced concepts.

Same with digital music, everyone complained that making music is so easy now, yet some people at the forefront used that ease to make more complex music, like dubstep.

Even in fighting games, the forums are filled with people saying it's too easy now because all you have do is watch YouTube videos to learn big combos. Yet the guys at the forefront are inventing even crazier combos.

Take advantage of the technology to stay ahead of the noobs.

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    you have to see it as a way to free you up from the mundane tasks of DJ'ing so you can do more complex and unique routines.
    as long as that doesn't mean continual beatmasher and filter whoring, too much of that kicking about imo, it's nice now and again to spice things up, but not every 5 seconds.

SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    as long as that doesn't mean continual beatmasher and filter whoring, too much of that kicking about imo, it's nice now and again to spice things up, but not every 5 seconds.
    I agree, that's just as bad as noob DJ'ing.

But there are so many things you can do now, you just have to be creative, use new software, try new things, etc.

I was just annoyed because there was almost no discussion of beat matching at all. The article seems to ignore the fact that songs can, i don't know, have different tempos, etc. Even if she was learning on a program with sync, which she wasn't, i would think you would still address what you do to actually match the tracks. I know its stupid but it still annoyed me.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    It's pretty obvious that controllerism is the future. DJ'ing is dead as far as I'm concerned. There is still a place for it but it's pretty much done.

You either have to put on some kind of show, or mix your own unique sounds.

You have to look at technology that makes DJ'ing easy as a good thing. Instead of seeing it as a way to make it easy for noobs, you have to see it as a way to free you up from the mundane tasks of DJ'ing so you can do more complex and unique routines.

Just like in school, a calculator takes care of the mundane arithmetic so you can concentrate on more advanced concepts.

Same with digital music, everyone complained that making music is so easy now, yet some people at the forefront used that ease to make more complex music, like dubstep.

Even in fighting games, the forums are filled with people saying it's too easy now because all you have do is watch YouTube videos to learn big combos. Yet the guys at the forefront are inventing even crazier combos.

Take advantage of the technology to stay ahead of the noobs.
    Complex music... Dubstep? Seriously? I can see the occasional value in the old school stuff but the current bro step trend is all focused on a drop and it all sounds the same. "Hmm let's make a dubstep track, now then, should it go dubwubwoop, or woopdubwub?".

Also, in my honest opinion DJing has NEVER EVER been about complex and unique routines, yes, to other DJ's, but to the audience it doesn't mean SHIT. They go to a show to hear some bomb music and a good vibe, that's your job and nothing less.
    Both can easily be done with CDJ's and controllers.

Which I may add, anyone who knows how to mix on cdj's can take his cd's and mix ANYWHERE. I don't see controllers becoming the standard at all as the negatives outweigh the positives by a long shot for club owners. Quite the hassle if you have a line-up with every DJ bringing his own controller.
    Last edited by Woah; 08-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast