CDJ Looping / Stretch Effect different than traktors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CDJ Looping / Stretch Effect different than traktors?

I've been breaking my head trying to accomplish this..let's say having an acapella or a track with a vocal or a synth that goes on hold for like 3-4 seconds, If you try looping it, it feels like it's being looped, you don't get that continous type of feel, as if it was on hold ..oooo oooo oooo instead of oooooooooooooooooooo...

take this mix for example:

http://soundcloud.com/martinsolveig/tomorrowland12

this is martin solveig at tomorrowland, at min 37 he goes from No Doubt - Don't speak to Afrojack replica, if you hear the NO doubt song carefully it doesn't seem like it's looped, more like stretched.

Also when he goes from Niggas in Paris to Flux Pavilion Can't stop. I tried setting up a loop at that exact same point in traktor and it feels like it's looped, his doesn't.

Tech Mentor

Don't know about the effect but i think he's playing this bootleg

No, it's different on his set.

Maybe adding a delay to the loop would help this? Add more smoothness to it.

zoom into the waveform to the point that the distance between 2 beats fills the deck view, then set the loop using in/out on parts of the wave form that are similar, chances are you may be hitting a spike in the sound which will create the 'looped' sound.
    whereas if the start and end of the loop are the same/similar kind of level/spike it should sound smoother. you'd then have to save this loop.

try and keep it quite short too, any attack/decay in the pitch/tone of the sound will still give away the obvious loop points, if you find the right sweet spot you should be able to do this with a 1/8 loop or thereabouts.

disabling quantize might help too

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    zoom into the waveform to the point that the distance between 2 beats fills the deck view, then set the loop using in/out on parts of the wave form that are similar, chances are you may be hitting a spike in the sound which will create the 'looped' sound.
    whereas if the start and end of the loop are the same/similar kind of level/spike it should sound smoother. you'd then have to save this loop.
    try and keep it quite short too, any attack/decay in the pitch/tone of the sound will still give away the obvious loop points, if you find the right sweet spot you should be able to do this with a 1/8 loop or thereabouts.

disabling quantize might help too
    Ill try this tomorrow, about the delay, it does smooth it a bit, but its still there. Anyone ever played on cdj 2000s and has done this 'hold'?

This is useful in so many ways for bpm transitions..l

the CDJ vs Traktor difference when looping will be software based to a degree as well. Traktor tries to be too acurate sometimes, imo - alternatively the software in a CDJ is more limited.

a nice example is the key lock, on a CDJ if you run the pitch down to -100% with key lock on you get a sound similar to (in the matrix movies) when neo gets sucked into the mirror - something i used to love on CDJ. Traktor on the over hand, seems to keep everything tidy.

SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    the CDJ vs Traktor difference when looping will be software based to a degree as well. Traktor tries to be too acurate sometimes, imo - alternatively the software in a CDJ is more limited.

a nice example is the key lock, on a CDJ if you run the pitch down to -100% with key lock on you get a sound similar to (in the matrix movies) when neo gets sucked into the mirror - something i used to love on CDJ. Traktor on the over hand, seems to keep everything tidy.
    tried doing the really tight loop thing, still doesn't work. feels looped aswell, isn't there any effects on tratkor that could recreate this?

tbh, after listening to that mix again, i think he has the looped sound in there too, but is using some fxs to build the transition

i'm starting to think it's more a case of a one beat loop on a kick, and then some fx

SoundCloud

Youre thinking of a delay or something.. ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast