VCI 100 1.4 firmware, I only want high resolution pitch faders, thats all!
    Tech Convert

Default VCI 100 1.4 firmware, I only want high resolution pitch faders, thats all!

Hey everyone

Ive just finally updated my firmware to 1.4 on my vci 100.

The only reason I wanted to do this was because I couldnt beat match without the high resolution faders.

I had a mapping that I really liked before and is completely my own custom one, but now my pitch faders and jog wheels dont work.

Does anyone know what to do once youve updated to fix these things back to normal, just so I can have the high resolution faders

Thanks

Alex

Try re-learning the fader/jogwheel controls in Traktor.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Ja............ just relearn. This is what I did.......... works like a charm.

Tech Convert

In traktor 3 they worked exactly how I liked them, but I cant get them the same now. this is what they did before :

With the 'vinyl mode' button on, then turning the jog wheel would scratch/scroll through the track, and the outer edge would pitch bend.

Then with the 'vinyl mode' button off, you could scroll through the track when the decks werent playing, but when they were playing, the jog wheel would just act like th eouter ring, pitch bending!

How do I do this?

Tech Mentor

Check out the documentation for the 1.4 FW, the MIDI messages have changed. Pitch faders send the pitch bend message on two separate channels, and jog messages have been moved to another channel (can't remember the details by heart).

Here: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...l=1#post160905
    Last edited by DJQA; 08-14-2012 at 06:43 AM.

I don't understand why it's not possible to beatmatch without having the two BPMs exactly the same. That little bit of difference with the 1.3 and before VCI-100s (I'm still using the 1.3 version) which usually goes around 0.3 - 0.5 shouldn't make it impossible to keep in time for long mixes as long as you don't concentrate too much on the chicks or drinking and nudge the jogwheels once in a while. Although digital DJ software is widely accepted now, it's still nice to let the crowd see that the DJ's actually doing something.
    Know thy music ...

what is high resolution pitch faders?

anyone care to explain to a noob with these termalogy

Tech Mentor

High resolution when referring to MIDI controllers means anything above 7-bit precision, which is what you get with a standard MIDI CC message. At 7 bits, let's say you have a +/-8% pitch range in use, the steps in pitch when the fader is moved will be approximately 0.13% at a time. This is manageable but not very precise compared to CDJs and turntables, and will get progressively worse if you make the pitch range wider. Most 'high-resolution' faders claim to be 14-bit, but that's simply the length of the message that they send, not actual precision. Most will have 10-bit A/D converters, which will get you 0.016% steps with a +/-8% pitch range.

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    High resolution when referring to MIDI controllers means anything above 7-bit precision, which is what you get with a standard MIDI CC message. At 7 bits, let's say you have a +/-8% pitch range in use, the steps in pitch when the fader is moved will be approximately 0.13% at a time. This is manageable but not very precise compared to CDJs and turntables, and will get progressively worse if you make the pitch range wider. Most 'high-resolution' faders claim to be 14-bit, but that's simply the length of the message that they send, not actual precision. Most will have 10-bit A/D converters, which will get you 0.016% steps with a +/-8% pitch range.

thank you sir the explanation. i have the regular VCI....no wonder i could never never match the BPM on 1 deck with another....it would just skip. if i want it at 128...it would skip from 127.84 to 128.21 as an example.

so is this option available on regular vci? gotta search up on this

Quote Originally Posted by Kensic View Post
    thank you sir the explanation. i have the regular VCI....no wonder i could never never match the BPM on 1 deck with another....it would just skip. if i want it at 128...it would skip from 127.84 to 128.21 as an example.

so is this option available on regular vci? gotta search up on this
    Even if they're exactly the same, if the Sync function's off, you'll still need to nudge the jogwheel now and then when doing long mixes and if you're using the Sync function, then it shouldn't matter at all.

And yes, this high resolution ability is available on any VCI-100 with the firmware upgrade to version 1.4.
    Know thy music ...