krk 5s Nothing under 50 Hz so I've heard. Is this true ?

Default krk 5s Nothing under 50 Hz so I've heard. Is this true ?

So I was browsing facebook a couple minutes ago and one of the commenters said his krk 5s don't play almost nothing under 50 Hz. He has to use headphones for the bass. He makes somewhat deeper dubstep so poor fella.

But if this is true that makes them quite shit-tier monitors at least for what I would expect from them. Is adding a sub the only solution then ?

I almost got 6s but bought 1210s instead but I feel like this is something that should be known since krk is always depicted as the go to supplier of monitors. And it's good to know for the future.

I have not tested KRK5s but if the spec says they don't go below 50Hz, most likely that is, especially if they use 5" cones. Most cheap reference monitors don't go that low, cost savings have to happen somewhere.

Not that 35 Hz and so on is mostly used to hear rumble and other icky stuff that should not be part of a mix. But me thinks getting good reference monitors is important, save money and get those who go down to 35Hz anyway. You will keep good monitors for years and years, as I found out with my Event TR8s that refuse to break down.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    I feel like this is something that should be known since krk is always depicted as the go to supplier of monitors.
    It's actually 53Hz. You aren't going to get much lower with 5" cones, irrespective of manufacturer. For example the equivalent Genelec is double the price, yet only goes down to 58Hz, or the Mackie MR5s, 60Hz.

Even 8" cones will typically only go down to 42-45Hz, but they'll be too loud for your average home studio. Solution; for sub-bass, use a sub-woofer. Big cone, doesn't matter that it's mono, doesn't have to push out the mids.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 08-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

According to my specs TR8s go down to 37Hz and that's good enough for me -- they are not that loud, either. Cost a lot when I got them long time ago but they have served me well. Getting Event 2030s next, most likely this winter.

Many good reference monitors go down to 35Hz or so -- anyway the main goal is to hear rumble. If you want to get a sub-woofer experience, get a sub-woofer. I don't like sub-woofers in a studio as it could easily result in odd mixes for non-sub woofer systems.

Just use headphones that goes under 50 hz to check your mix.

the 5's are fairly bassy compared to other models... they are still great reference monitors providing you buy a sub... go for the 8's or try out a different brand

But if this is true that makes them quite shit-tier monitors at least for what I would expect from them. Is adding a sub the only solution then ?
    Probably more like nothing under 60hz to be honest (53hz means something might come out but they are not flat or usable down to 53hz, or 60hz even). They are 5" monitors... Yes all rokkits are low end monitors but this has a lot to do with just their size. You're not going to get accurate sub bass out of any 5" monitors. That's why it is called sub bass.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 08-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.