Money, how much money. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think think anyone should take payment for very early days when they are learning DJ:ing, selection of tracks, crowd control et rest...

Quote Originally Posted by mart21har View Post
    Spin for the grin, not the green.
    That is beautiful.

If anyone here has some wallpaper making skills, please, by all means, knock yourself out and share.

But to answer the question:

I usually ask €50.
    But I'm okay with free drinks.
    But I'm also okay with limited free drinks.
    But I'm also okay with just compensation for the gas.
    But I'm also okay with nothing else but the pure joy from spinning marvelous music to make myself and as much people as possible ecstatic.

I think everyone should ask money for dj'ing, otherwise you'll ruin it for the guy's who must pay the bills with there dj gigs
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    I think everyone should ask money for dj'ing, otherwise you'll ruin it for the guy's who must pay the bills with there dj gigs
    hopefully the guys paying the bills with it are worth the money. I think everyone should spin once and awhile for free. If thats too much to ask, then you're probably not doing it for the right reasons
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Guru

What about if I present a made up scenario?

You're a beginner, you're competent but never played out before. A promoter gives you a chance to play at his small night, all the DJ's are amateur but competent. It's a small club, Ģ3 to get in on the door. 100-150 people are expected. Who should get paid?

Here's another:
    A promoter (who is also one of the DJ's) from another town is running a slightly bigger night. It's Ģ5 on the door but 400 people are expected. They said you can have a spot, you're a beginner but with a few gigs under your belt and you're very competent. You ask about payment before you accept and they say no pay, they're the ones giving YOU the chance after all. You ask to get the cost of travel covered. They say no, they could just get a local DJ in instead. Where do you stand? Who should get paid?

These are made up but something I could expect to happen. You have to bear in mind that people (promoters) are making money here, however small.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    maybe if he makes some money he will start paying for his music...
    oh dayum

Quote Originally Posted by qeuifang0 View Post
    want it just like the one you have but in
    8 posts all saying the same thing with blocked (the mods are really doing their jobs) IMG links.
    FAIL.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

imho it really depends on the venue, the kind of party, are these your friends or is it an official booking etc.

if a friend of mine asks me to play at his club i sure donīt ask him for my normal payment. i let him know that as long as my travel costs are payed, i have a place to sleep and something to drink/eat, iīm fine. we mostly agree on waiting how the party turns out. if it turns out good heīll gladly give me 100€-300€. if it doesnīt he pays for my expenses and thatīs it. sometimes you win and sometimes not. itīs a give and take.

bookings: i awlways have a look at what kind of party it is, how long i have to spin and how far it is from my town. payment: my own expenses as usual. if itīs a gig where iīm only playing one or two hours i ask for an aditional 150€-200€. if i have one floor letīs say from 11pm till 6-7am i ask for 50€-75€.

i guess that is all. but as a beginner i didnīt ask for any money and i drove big distances to play gigs for free, just to get into the scene, get my name out there etc.
    also i have a fulltime job, so i donīt really care if i get payed or not. i always got payed and thatīs good.

my advise:
    if youīre a beginner and havenīt played out yet, be careful with what you ask and be grateful with any kind of gig you get offered. GET YOUR NAME OUT, PLAY SOME PARTIES FOR FREE AND GET CONNECTED!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

7 years of producing and 4 years of DJing before i got paid for my gigs, and that was a whopping 60 bucks for a 1 hour set...

its never about the money, but at the same time no one wants a real job and if Djing puts food on the table then sweet

Tech Convert

at first be prepared to do it for free, after wards at least till you are older, maybe 300 a night

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast