Live Mixing Video by Michael O'Hagan (me)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Live Mixing Video by Michael O'Hagan (me)

Check these out, they were filmed at my house a few days ago, let me know what you think, I'm going to add text bubbles over the next week gradually explaining my way through the entire mix to make it into a more tutorial style video.

but for right now let me know how they look and sound to you guys!!!

http://www.youtube.com/MichaelOHaganMusic

there are 4 videos for about 32 min of music.

so check this out and feedback at me here, I need to sit down and watch this a few times and take notes on what should be explained and when.

Tech Mentor

alright its 7 am and I just finished adding all the info captions to all 4 videos, I out like a light fellas.

good stuff man
    sorta lost me on part 4 when you went heavy on the effects, but hell we all do that when we're in the groove from time to time
    Last edited by selfinfliction; 06-14-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Tech Guru

just listened to part 1, love the setup, the initial scratching with this is how I rock n roll, is that using a delay or fx on it or is that just scratching a sample in deckadance?
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Mentor

thats just scratching a sample in DD, I have a delay on there but its really lightly used and you really dont hear it at the beginning, later on the delay gets slammed on more and the x/y pad controls a flanger/chorus for DD going up/down and the supatrigga feed from left to right.

left to right on the x/y will put the DD samples through supatriggers reverse and slow down fx.

at the end of part 4 DD went all glitchy, like the last 2 minutes stuff is happening and I'm not doing it, thats when I had to kill the set.

thanks for checkin this out.

EDIT: I re listened to the part your talking about and I was scratching deckadance into supatriggers slowdown effect which delays the audio by a 1/2 bar and warps it a second time.

Wicked vids dude!
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Mentor

thank you sir to jason, and to self who said.

"sorta lost me on part 4 when you went heavy on the effects, but hell we all do that when we're in the groove from time to time "

I actually lost myself in the mix onetime doing that, it was a wierd feeling to release an effect and forget what I was planning next because it just broke the rhythm to much.

First off, you my friend need an APC40

Really inspiring to watch as it is true "live electronic music" and I give you props for both the production work and making it work as a "live" set.

I wasn't feeling your tunes too much (not much of a fan of breaks), and the sample dropping was a bit over the top at times, but I can appreciate the time and effort you put into it and I would tell you to stick with it and keep doing what you're doing because performance wise you're doing lots of stuff right

Nice vids!

Tech Mentor

thanks summer, always curious, whats your preferred musical styling?

and was it the frequency of samples of just going to long when I dropped them in?

I prefer house/electro, and although I can tolerate some breaks, it's not my usual flavor of choice.

In regards to the sample usage, it was somewhat more the frequency that they were dropped. If you were to ask me what I would suggest to further improve your performance, I would say to work on building your tracks with more musical elements than vocal samples. The psuedo-scratching was cool in small doses, but I feel like that got abused a bit much. The few live electronic performances I've seen, I've always enjoyed when the performer would build the track up and then bring in a really unique musical element, whether it be a bassline, percussion pattern, or synth line, that no one in the crowd would be expecting.

Keep working at it, you're well on your way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast