Does SSD really that matter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Does SSD really that matter?

Nice article about SSD during DJing or does it change your workflow during production? Pros, cons and stuff

http://blog.dubspot.com/dj-producer-...d-you-get-one/

Tech Guru

SSDs are great and all but songs are so small I am not sure how much of a improvement it will bring "while" DJing. It's going to cause programs to launch a lot faster and the machine will run more smoothly but I question if a SSD will improve the DJing experience. I say this because I see no difference when loading songs via the network or via SSD on my MBP.

Hope this helps!
    PS: as a overall upgrade SSDs are fantastic.

Put your boot drive to SSD and have smiles all day long.

200 tracks in ableton SSD is a must 2 decks in traktor sata is just fine... SDD is similasr to ram modules. the drives do not have spinning disks thus are extremely fast. if you want to start up your machine in seconds and load files and sounds quickly then SSD is for you, for most Djing purposes its all that necessary

Tech Mentor

Maybe if your laptop crashes and you have to restart it would help. Boot up time and opening up traktor would take seconds lol

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Put your boot drive to SSD and have smiles all day long.
    I have one........ Samsung 64 GB. Just for the programmes.. my machine goes like shit off a stick.

I used external drives to store the tracks (But all trakor working files are in the usual default folder.. stripes.. and so on) also I take a back up drive.

My machine boots in about 7 seconds ... from cold. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post

wow a friend put an ssd in his mbp recently as says it's like night and day. once stuff is running tho i don't suppose there's a big diff. being able to restart your laptop during a gig so fast has to be a big advantage tho - if something screwed up.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Boot times and app launch times on my rMBP are just excellent. Kontakt and other samples also perform better on solid state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post
    I have one........ Samsung 64 GB. Just for the programmes.. my machine goes like shit off a stick.

I used external drives to store the tracks (But all trakor working files are in the usual default folder.. stripes.. and so on) also I take a back up drive.

Plus all the VM paging goes back and forth between the SSD drive and the internal databus. And as most OS systems page all the time...

Tech Guru

Just a few points. I have fairly large collection of songs saved in folders that are sorted by their genre (Hip Hop, reggae, reggaeton, pop, etc). Everytime I would open up a folder, it would take a decent amount of time (15-30 secs depending) for the full collection to load w/ all info. At times I can be mixing in and out of songs fairly quickly, that 15-30 secs I'm waiting for it to load is valuable time I coulda be using to possibly make a better song selection, a better cue selection within the song, a tighter beat match, etc. With a SSD, the most I wait is maybe 5 secs at max. Also with a SSD, you are a lot less likely to damage the drive during transportation while it's off, or even while it's on if you're laptop were to fall off the stand or stage or whatever. Also no need to worry about damaging it because you placed it too close to the magnet of a speaker.

Not saying everyone should go out and buy one, but I dont ever think I remember anyone that has bought one saying "what a waist of money". They usually say " I never want to use a HDD again", that includes myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast