making your own flyers... - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I was gonna agree with everyone else and then I saw...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwonka27 View Post
    ...that, and now I have to agree with sobi...

Its a shit flyer but at least they are trying to do something. But yeah, the flyer is shit someone else should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    raise your hand if you ever used Kinko's to make copies of flyers!!!

meeeee!!! <raises hand>
    as a professional designer, i've recommended photocopies to meet budget and quantity. before professional loved making crazy photocopies, there is a lot that can be done with an exacto knife and a photocopier, screw photoshop, make a ransom letter.

first off thanks for the suggestion of gimp, after a bit of head scratching ive come up with something i like. thanks!im hoping next time tiesto plays at this sports bar im going to be playing at, he wont be too bummed out about it.

now i just have to say: i am almost 40 years old so if you get out your calculator app youll find ive been part of this scene for longer than some of you could pronounce the word EDM. when i started out i actually used to make hand drawn flyers for raves, yah talk about low budget low tech, im sure just one of those flyers could completely ruin the careers of at least 5 "edm professionals", but hey the parties were fun. but this was before "EDM" was born and we just called it "underground"... now its all above ground and any 10 year old with an ipod can do what any "EDM professional" could do 10 years ago with 10 grand worth of equipment. so im sorry if your "career" is being threatened , id hate to see anyone actually have to do any real "work". but at least i can comfort myself with the knowledge that somewhere , someone will see my flyer and say " hey ...these arent the 500 dollar 2 sided 600 color flyers they use for corporate raves sponsored by red bull and macys, id rather stay home and watch bachelor pad" and my gig will be better off when they stay home.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Funny how older people think they over the top. Just like cops. A date of birth (or a uniform) doesn't make your idea to do a flyer without any skills better.

Anyway, if you want some fonts : Dafont.com. Thousands of fonts in all styles.
    All the fonts are free, however, there might be some conditions (non commercial use bla bla bla) that are written usually in a .txt inside the .rar archive.

Seriously.... if you think I was saying cheap design will ruin EDM or DJ sets, it's pointless to try and explain, but I will anyhow.
    I've seen countless people agree on here that it just isn't right to hire shit DJ's who don't know what they are doing and have no experience. It takes jobs out of the hands of other DJ's who have worked hard for a long time that love their craft. It makes it harder for experienced guys to find gigs because the market gets flooded with kids who just pirate software, download the beatport top 10 lists, and play it all with no idea of what they are doing. You get the point
    I find it hypocritical that as DJ's, we find it permissible to talk that out of one side of our mouths and then virtually try to do the same thing to other areas of the creative fields. We shouldn't short change fellow DJ's and always do the right thing as far as the music goes, but when it comes to designers, fuck them? find a workaround and go on the cheap? Fuck that. As a professional who makes their living in the design field, I find it offensive.
    If you replace the musician with a designer, there is no difference in the following.

Craigslist Ad:

We are a small & casual restaurant in downtown Vancouver and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More jazz, rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

A Musician’s Reply:

Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restauranteur to come to my house to promote his/her restaurant by making dinner for me and my friends. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get a positive response. More fine dining & exotic meals mixed with some ethnic fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Seriously.... if you think I was saying cheap design will ruin EDM or DJ sets, it's pointless to try and explain, but I will anyhow.
    I've seen countless people agree on here that it just isn't right to hire shit DJ's who don't know what they are doing and have no experience. It takes jobs out of the hands of other DJ's who have worked hard for a long time that love their craft. It makes it harder for experienced guys to find gigs because the market gets flooded with kids who just pirate software, download the beatport top 10 lists, and play it all with no idea of what they are doing. You get the point
    I find it hypocritical that as DJ's, we find it permissible to talk that out of one side of our mouths and then virtually try to do the same thing to other areas of the creative fields. We shouldn't short change fellow DJ's and always do the right thing as far as the music goes, but when it comes to designers, fuck them? find a workaround and go on the cheap? Fuck that. As a professional who makes their living in the design field, I find it offensive.
    If you replace the musician with a designer, there is no difference in the following.
    +1, it's not that hard to find a friend who does design work for a living. Get them a comp ticket, or a bottle of their favourite drink, and get them to throw something together. We have a bulletin board at the shop I work at, I couldn't even describe how shitty most of the flyers are.

Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
    Its a shit flyer but at least they are trying to do something. But yeah, the flyer is shit someone else should do it.
    Well my apologies for using the resources i have to try and do something i love. Im not good with any photoshop (or similiar program) so kiss my ass and when u pay big bucks for a flyer that 90 percent of the people throw away go for it! happy flyer making u cocky assholes

i thought this was a thread about someone asking for help...

not someone asking to be ridiculed...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dwonka27 View Post
    Well my apologies for using the resources i have to try and do something i love. Im not good with any photoshop (or similiar program) so kiss my ass and when u pay big bucks for a flyer that 90 percent of the people throw away go for it! happy flyer making u cocky assholes
    You don't have to pay big bucks to get a good looking flyer. Just stay the hell away from http://www4.flamingtext.com/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast