Recording setup for multi-track mix
    Tech Student

Default Recording setup for multi-track mix

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some input on what would be the best way to setup your hardware and software for multitrack recording....last time I did this was YEAAAAARS! ago using CoolEdit pro before Traktor or Serato or any controllers were out. It was a lot easier of a setup.

What would be the best way to set things up if I'm currently running 2 12's, mixer, and Traktor Scratch pro using Adobe Audition to record.

I did some digging, most of the info I could find about mixtape recording was based around mastering and effects. I was hoping to get some guidance as far as actual setup goes. What is ideal, what is needed, etc.

Also, I see some people are using Abelton to record multi-track...any thoughts of Abelton being a better choice over Audition?

Welcome to the forums.

What soundcard do you have buddy?
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Student

Thanks Jester!

I'm using my laptop's on-board sound card. The codec and drivers are by IDT. The laptop I'm using is a Dell Studio XPS 1647. It's your typical laptop sound card. There are two audio outs and one mic audio in. All via 1/8 jack. The sound cards settings allow me to assign any of the three inputs as audio in's or out's. So it's flexible from that stand point.

My end goal would be to have Adobe Audition (or Ableton) receive input from Traktor and also allow me to output audio from Audition so I can layer my tracks/ scratching/ etc.

Ok run an rca from either the REC OUT or BOOTH OUT on the mixer to one of the inputs you have set up. Then you can choose that input in your software, audition would be better. I would recommend you pick up a decent soundcard though mate, it sure makes things a lot easier. Have a browse through the buy/sell section and look for a second hand audio 4. Great card, i used one for a couple years (2 stereo ins, 2 stereo outs)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "