"How to" DJ in a hot, sweaty venue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default "How to" DJ in a hot, sweaty venue?

A particular place that I play at pretty often away at college is a sweatbox/sauna whenever the parties are thrown. Its in a big house/apartment, and this is really only a problem before the winter, while its still pretty hot outside.

Usually when I DJ there, i have 1 fan on my laptop, and 1 fan on my s4, but I'm starting to get nervous especially about the laptop (I have a warranty on the s4, and my laptop i have a backup through Time Machine, I just don't have the money to buy a new Macbook if it breaks)

When I used to use a Numark Mixdeck last year, the jog wheels (touch sensitive) would stop working when it got too 'muggy' and moist. The laptop was always alright, but does anyone have any good ways to be safe in a hot/humid party climate? Share!

Air conditioning? Rent equipment?

I would use one big industrial fan, that should take care of protecting the environment as well as you.

when in doubt go the Girl Talk route and saran wrap it
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

^^ ive seen the saran wrap and actually did do that once for a desert party, but it begs the question ... doesn't saran warp have a static charge??? and can it do anything gnarly to your laptop or equipment???

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Mentor

Just bring one of those metal table fans and set it directly underneath your laptop stand on high. The airflow will cool it just fine. Keep in mind most laptops run at around 60 celcius (the macbooks even higher), and wont shut down until they near 100 - Much warmer than any environment you could play at. An external fan will provide more than enough airflow to get that heat out of the notebook.

I would not worry about the humidity levels. While it's not ideal for any electronics, there is little cause for concern.
    Last edited by sss18734; 08-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.

I think the saran wrap would be helpful for spills, but the hot and sweaty part is because of the humidity...seems like that would still get through the saran wrap.

I think your best option would be open windows and lots of fans in the place, maybe even some dehumidifiers nearby.
    nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    ^^ ive seen the saran wrap and actually did do that once for a desert party, but it begs the question ... doesn't saran warp have a static charge??? and can it do anything gnarly to your laptop or equipment???
    yes sir it does, good thinking. but I don't think its strong enough to hurt your equipment. Could be wrong though
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

I would not wrap equipment in plastic, humidity sticks inside and could become a killer. Maybe at Burning Man, that's a deadly environment with all the dust -- otherwise a big no no.

They sell those cooling docks for laptops. I've never used one or looked into it but they should help.

Not sure I understand the saran wrap unless it's actually raining. Saran wrap will hold in the heat and also cause more condensation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast