VCI 400 Overlay Sticker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Lightbulb VCI 400 Overlay Sticker

Goal: I'd like to ask the opinions and expertise of controllerists and DJs out there (using or interested in using the Ean Golden Mapping for the VCI-400), about a custom sticker overlay.

My Background: I started with a standard VCI-400 and asked DJTechTools to install the custom firmware needed to use the EG mapping. Success.

Action: Next step for me is the overlay sticker. DJTT is looking into getting more of these in the future, sold separately. In the meantime, I made my own for you and me. Not a critical need if a user simply studies the controller enough, but a visual representation can go a long way (especially when you work in the dark).

See attached image.
    - What are your thoughts, recommendations?
    - Is it accurate?
    - Does it make sense to you?
    - What would you change?

You can take a lot of control over the design/content if you have the right software. My intention was to make a transitional overlay sticker for the users, including myself and make it somewhat ideal and supportive of the powerful Ean Golden mapping. High resolution vector file will be made available soon.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks and play on!

VCI-400-EG-Overlay-Mapping-template.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30481523/VC...g-template.png

P.S. If I find a custom sticker company, through Vestax or other, who can handle the production, I'll be sure and include that information.
    Last edited by quickswitch; 08-07-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Minor updates

hahaha

I suspect your post is about to open a whole can of worms, so i'll try and get all the questions people will ask a million times in one post save you having to constantly repeat yourself

Can i just confirm for everyone that I'm reading your post correct and you have flashed a standard, off the shelf VCI-400 with the custom DJTT firmware and it worked fine? It is now able to use the DJTT mapping and access all of the features, perform all of the macros and FX stuff etc?

Was this the "version 1" of the firmware that was originally released or was it an upgrade including the standalone mixer functions?

If this is indeed working, have DJTT indicated a timescale for wider sale/release?

In terms of the overlay, obviously DJTT have provided these in the past for the VCI-100 and they were superb quality, the plasticy material was great and very hardwearing, so would using that company again not be an option for getting new overlays done? Having a one piece overlay that can just be stuck straight on would be great and indeed would be even easier to do than the VCI-100 as it wont have to bend round the curved edges like it does on a 100.

k

Tech Convert

Talking

Kevin, PhotoJojo,

Everything that I can tell works, as DJTT instructs in their documentation and videos.
    I have not done macros yet, I need to research that. I've tested the controller out many times already.

I'm not sure what firmware version originally came with the standard controller. I made the purchase about 5 months ago if that helps. I surely did not request or acquire another firmware upgrade beyond the EG firmware.

Firmware Only Release: No estimate for a wider/sale release, according to DJTT's responses. At first DJTT considered 2-3 months to market. Now it seems longer and less likely.

Sticker: I hope using the company Vestax used for printing purposes is available--Chris & Ean stated they're looking into it. The problem I'm finding with other vendors is they require such a high minimum order and they charge quite a bit. I simply desire less than 5 custom sticker overlays. Still researching and getting estimates. I co-sign, a one-piece would be great. But if I have to apply the sticker in sections, I'll make do.

Recognizing that a user must moreso memorize and get comfortable with their controller, what do you think about the mapping design I did? Do you recommend changing anything? Does it make sense?

Let me know if I have answered all of your concerns.
    I appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by quickswitch; 08-19-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: More concise, minor edits

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quickswitch View Post
    Kevin,

To answer with more clarity about my background, yes. I ordered a standard VCI-400 and later decided to do the Ean Golden firmware flash. Hadn't planned to at first, but after studying their custom mapping, it seemed to work better for my playing style/setup. Honestly, I have not done macros yet, I need to research that. I've tested the controller out a few times already: All else is operational, according to the video tutorial Chris provided.

I do not know for certain how to check what firmware came with the standard controller I purchased. I made the purchase about 5 months ago if that helps. "Version 1" firmware? I definitely did not request or acquire another firmware upgrade beyond the EG firmware.

Next question/answer: No. I wish.. And I asked them many times. I was very eager to simply buy the stand alone firmware and attempt to do the install. At first DJTT considered 2-3 months to market. Now it seems longer and less likely.

I hope using the company Vestax used for printing purposes is available--Chris & Ean stated they're looking into it. The problem I'm finding with other vendors is they require such a high minimum order and they charge quite a bit. I simply desire less than 5 custom sticker overlays. Still researching and getting estimates. I co-sign, a one-piece would be great. But if I have to apply the sticker in sections, I'll make do.

Recognizing that a user must moreso memorize and get comfortable with their controller, what do you think about the mapping design I did? Do you recommend changing anything? Does it make sense?

Let me know if I have answered all of your concerns.
    I appreciate your feedback.
    Such a long response without a clear answer. Please just simply answer these questions for clarity.

1. Did you flash a normal VCI-400 with the DJTT firmware?

2. If you did, how did you do it?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Shortened the original response to help. To be more concise:

Yes. I ordered a standard VCI-400 and later decided to do the Ean Golden firmware flash.

Mailed my hardware directly to DJTT in California, pre-paid shipping to/from. DJ TT charged a minor fee for the parts/labor. They performed the operation. This was all worked out via phone/email conversations to coordinate.
    Last edited by quickswitch; 08-19-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: More explanation

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quickswitch View Post
    Shortened the original response to help. To be more concise:

Yes. I ordered a standard VCI-400 and later decided to do the Ean Golden firmware flash.

Mailed my hardware directly to DJTT in California, pre-paid shipping to/from. They performed the operation.
    Thanks for the response and I think can of worms is an understatement.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Student

Hello,
    I just bought the VCI-400 EGE. Maybe because I'm just starting to get familiar with it, but boy I wish the text on the template wasn't black. Maybe when I get really familiar I will change my mind about it, but on the mean time I wish the text glowed in the dark. Is anyone, by any chance, making overlay templates that can glow in the dark, bet it would look really cool with black light!

Tech Convert

Great suggestion. I am currently working with a vendor with Vestax and will request for a glow-in-the-dark material.
    If you think the template itself could benefit from some changes, please respond here. DJTT may also be acquiring stand-alone sticker overlays soon, so if I hear anything, I'll also respond to this thread.

Cheers,

QuickSwitch

you know what we should, a basic lay of the entire controller...so that you can print in those clear plastic and lay it over the controller to keep the faceplate from scratching and stuff. i think imma do that

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kensic View Post
    you know what we should, a basic lay of the entire controller...so that you can print in those clear plastic and lay it over the controller to keep the faceplate from scratching and stuff. i think imma do that
    Good point. There is still a largely un-covered and un-protected area of the controller. Hopefully the Vestax printing solution will be able to accomodate an even more customized sticker that covered more surface, without raising an outrageous price. As you all know too, there are some labels painted on the device itself.

Still waiting to hear back from them, so stay tuned. If you care to take some liberties with the Design file, I'll forward it to you? It's in Adobe Illustrator. Just let me know.

I haven't had issues before witch surface scratches or scuffs, but the possibility is still there. When in transit, I pack and cushion the hell out my controllers and any other hardware I have, if doable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast