Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like to start a mixtape with something that I know makes an intro worthy introduction, maybe it is the vocals, maybe it is something different with more instruments and less drums, maybe I know it is catchy or this tune has the potential to be considered a classic in ten years. Then I like to build the energy up a little and then drop it out and build it up over the next few tunes to the meat of the set where there should be less breakdowns, more steady beat. Ideally I have gone thru a couple of routines in this time that aren't distracting, and am letting the groove find the spot. Closing I like to put together some true classics or super interesting current tunes that aren't getting enough love but are great, the bsides that are amazing or the like. The final tune should always be something that I really love a lot, it should make people kind of yearn to get back to this spot on a mix tape and want to start it again.

When I'm playing at home playing for me I just throw on the next tune I want to hear, the next mix I want to play with and have fun.

I like to start off with something mellow, but that kinda lets everyone know what they are getting into. Usually its some funky glitch, then i work my way up close to the peak, slow it down alittle bit to get everyone ready, then wind it up and melt their faces off till i end with a gloriously funky track. But like said above, it depends on crowd, set length, and location.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Hey ranboggy sounds like you have some Caribbean roots. That's pretty much how we do it down here in the Cayman Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by rdale View Post
    I like to start a mixtape with something that I know makes an intro worthy introduction, maybe it is the vocals, maybe it is something different with more instruments and less drums, maybe I know it is catchy or this tune has the potential to be considered a classic in ten years. Then I like to build the energy up a little and then drop it out and build it up over the next few tunes to the meat of the set where there should be less breakdowns, more steady beat. Ideally I have gone thru a couple of routines in this time that aren't distracting, and am letting the groove find the spot. Closing I like to put together some true classics or super interesting current tunes that aren't getting enough love but are great, the bsides that are amazing or the like. The final tune should always be something that I really love a lot, it should make people kind of yearn to get back to this spot on a mix tape and want to start it again.

When I'm playing at home playing for me I just throw on the next tune I want to hear, the next mix I want to play with and have fun.
    I like this advice a lot as well. Its important to not just constantly be playing new tracks that no one has heard.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12