Structuring your set
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Structuring your set

When you're playing out (or in the bedroom, whatever you do) how do you find yourself generally structuring your sets? Obviously you're going to start slow (relative to the genre you play) and then work your way up from there but how do you go from there? I kind of like to start out with more relaxing tracks and then work my set up to a climax and then wind it down again from there. But I've seen people who do it differently, they'll start slow and just keep working up until their set is over...like their bpm increase and consistently and never varies. You guys have any insights in to how you do things?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

What i usually do is pick a real gem as the starter tune, also several tracks i want to play and where i wanna put them. Last 3-4 tracks are always the massive toe curlers and last tune brings us down to earth. think of an "S" turned on its side thats how i think of it.
    .. Or just smash them in the face for 2 hours lol
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Its all personal. You can Find out what works depending on the crowd and venue. My favorite way is to start (if it's early in the night) is with some deep house and minimal techno until it the place starts to fill out. That way people start to get into the mood and drink and socialize which is key early in the night, but they don't expect much either..

From there I move towards more popular dance tracks. It will get everyone on the floor and dancing. Ill build the energy for a few songs, and once everyone is tired (including me) Ill drop a long epic vocal to calm it down. then slowly build back the energy from there, rise and repeat for majority of the night.

Once everyones nice an sloppy I bring in some "throwbacks" and 90's jams that we all love

Thats how I basically do it. When I play it's normally at a bar or party, so the crowd fades in, rages, then slowly fades out. If I had a 2 hour set I would do it different.
    Last edited by Emery; 08-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

home is different than playing out...when you play out you need to have a game plan as to the crowd and your position in the night. Home is about playing records together. I sometimes stopping and starting a few times with different feels and finding transitions between them. Sometimes i just establish a groove and ride it, seat of my pants.

Tech Wizard

when i did some of the reggae parties in lauderdale, we would start the night out with some r&b(maybe 3years back the most) then as the people come in start to bring it to more recent r&b. mainly the early songs were stuff that the ladies liked, because whats a dance with only guys. where there are ladies, men will follow. then start throwing in the dancing reggae nothing too too new. then when the party is full enough hit them with new hip hop, and then hit them with new reggae, and at about 230am is where we throw out the "skin out" tunes. stuff that had the girls getting crazy and dancing with any guy in sight. all this was done while keeping crowds reaction though. at home its similar format but skin out is excluded(not dancing alone). lol... my whole thing about building sets is never never never ever play the big bangers when the night is still early. nothing worst than repeating a track later in the night

Structuring a set depends totally on what my roll/position is in the programming for the party. I've done everything from opening a night, lead in to the headliner, headliner, playin to the "Fo in da Mornin' heads", morning sets and being the only DJ for a 15 hour session. All these require different structuring of your mix and music selection.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

i have the song i want to start out with sometimes with a follow up song... after that i have a list of 3 or 4 songs i want to play during the night... the rest i select while performing. i generally start somewhat slow or with an intro mix then i work my bpm up for shorter sets and bring it back down agian if i am playing longer sets

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    What i usually do is pick a real gem as the starter tune, also several tracks i want to play and where i wanna put them. Last 3-4 tracks are always the massive toe curlers and last tune brings us down to earth. think of an "S" turned on its side thats how i think of it.
    .. Or just smash them in the face for 2 hours lol
    I really like the "S" analogy. It's great to have varying levels of energy throughout your set. It may work for electrohouse and stuff to just play banger after banger, but that's not the kind of vibe you really want with the likes of techno or tech house.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    I really like the "S" analogy. It's great to have varying levels of energy throughout your set. It may work for electrohouse and stuff to just play banger after banger, but that's not the kind of vibe you really want with the likes of techno or tech house.
    I never really thought about it, but the S analogy actually sounds pretty applicable. I agree with what SirReal said about programming for the crowd, but in most cases I like to start strong, pull it back, build, peak, repeat, repeat...drop a few classics near the end and then wind it down with something groovy.

With techno I just start off with a relaxing track then build up to a banger e.g Kingswing or grindhouse
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast