How do YOU mix songs?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default How do YOU mix songs?

How do you like to mix songs most of the time?

Do you like to mix the end of one to the start of the first, no matter the track style? Or,

Do you like to mix one breakdown into the next drop? Or,

Do you mix straight from one chorus into the next, creating a jam-packed mix of energy?

I know that one changes it up a lot, giving the audience/crowd variety, pumping them up, bringing them down, etc. I just want to know you mix songs.
    Last edited by Orthminius; 08-09-2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: typos

I try to mix them in sync. Trainwrecks suck.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I meant live, mix meaning proceeding from the first song to the next, but cool! What genre/style do you DJ?
    Last edited by Orthminius; 08-09-2012 at 02:01 AM.

House, Tech House, Tribal, Techno, Breakbeat, Ambient & Downtempo.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Long time ago, when there was not DAW or desk automation, what mixers-engineers did was to break down a song into one minute parts and mix this and then glue together the final master track. You salute such efforts today when people have DAWs and don't know how to mix or when to stop mixing.

Anyway there are no fixed rules, do whatever sounds good.

I see this got moved to Mixes and Productions. I mean live, general DJ'ing. Would that go in "General?"

@ksandvik Thanks for the history. That's very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthminius View Post
    I see this got moved to Mixes and Productions. I mean live, general DJ'ing. Would that go in "General?"

@ksandvik Thanks for the history. That's very interesting.
    I just finished Ken Scott's autobiography, he recorded Beatles, early day Bowie, Missing Persons and much more. Fun book about early day mixing/production voes.

Anyway, there are so many ways to do this. I think it has to do with carefully knowing what the crowd anticipates or subtly get them to anticipate tracks and breakdowns. Me thinks the best is to go to any of your favorite bigger star DJ shows and see how they do it.

My favorite trick is to quickly switch the song to something else if the audience don't dig it. So instead of playing it a longer time period it just becomes a smaller interluded loop mixed with something else, hehehe.
    Last edited by ksandvik; 08-09-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Move the crossfader.......

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post
    Best..answer....ever....
    2 x Technics 1200 mk2 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850 | Pioneer DJM-600 | Serato Scratch Live 1 | Pioneer HDJ-500 W |

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post
    Never move the crossfader.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast