Pioneer XDJ Aero! - Page 11
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    Nope. Hawtin and all the guys might be using their ipads to add an extra synth layer or some extra drums to their existing track but that doesn't mean their sound will get totally screwed up by a wifi connection fail. All the rest of the set will keep playing. With the XDJ Aero it's the complete music that is streamed so the whole set substantially is in danger.
    not true man. unless they have very specific midi maps you could midi map to say the play button and end a set. Literally just press stop everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post

And what's the fuss about a usb stick - hasn't this been available for years?
    This is the second unit serious unit that can take a USB stick and not require multiple flight cases/a coffin. It's an all in one that can be carried under your arm, and not require you to be chained to your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    wifi interference doesn't work that way and it won't matter how far your tablet is to the unit it can still drop connection. the chances of this happening are dependent on the environment and what kind of devices broadcast into the 2.4ghz range. also, if most devices in the area happen to be running on the same channel (since there are only 3 legally usable channels in that range), the chances of interference are greater.
    Agree somewhat but you are just talking about interference from other devices.
    You can run it at 5GHz which would help as most phones (which is what you are talking about I guess) run 2.4...
    And of course it makes a difference how close you are to the AP, its called physical interference - radio waves degrade over distance.

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    although it's not aimed for use in public gigs, i'm sure there are people who will still use it that way.
    I don't see whay anyone would want to do that - the only advantage I can see is having your playlists on an iPad compared to scrolling through lists on the device via USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    This is the second unit serious unit that can take a USB stick and not require multiple flight cases/a coffin. It's an all in one that can be carried under your arm, and not require you to be chained to your laptop.
    Not sure what you mean by serious unit. It is aimed at home dj's.
    I can see an advantage if you take your own gear to a gig, but how many pro dj's do that?
    All working dj's I know use the gear in the club with maybe the exception of a couple of X1's they take with them.
    SC | MC

Not sure what you mean by serious unit. It is aimed at home dj's.
    I can see an advantage if you take your own gear to a gig, but how many pro dj's do that?
    All working dj's I know use the gear in the club with maybe the exception of a couple of X1's they take with them.
    Yes, the only professional equipment on the entire market are CDJ-2000s, and M3Ds, and those two units are only sold to clubs. The rest of the high end market, and the rest of the market in general, is only patronized at bedroom DJs. No professional ever uses anything else but the club's equipment, and never owns any hardware themselves.

C'mon, seriously? There's an entire subculture of DJs who gig on their own stuff. Especially when that stuff is portable. It just so happens that their own stuff is typically a DVS with the hardware just being a point of control, or high end hardware in itself. Not to mention the underground scene and event companies, who can swallow multiple XDJs for the cost of half of a 2000 rig. This unit lowers the barrier to entry significantly, and provides virtually everything you could want out of Pioneer's best.

Besides, not every club has a pair of CDJ-2000s kicking around. I slosh mine around with promoters all the time (only when I'm playing), especially with non-club events. Turn up to a club and they've got a beat up CMX, a pair of dented M3Ds, or some beat to shit players, plop this fucker on top of that, and suddenly the whole venue is Rekordbox enabled; something that I can already accomplish, albeit across 3 flight cases, 120lbs of gear, $5500 in capital, and a rework of the booth. This unit slashes that down to something I can sling under my arm, and sit on top of pretty much anything.
    Last edited by Shishdisma; 08-10-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Yes, the only professional equipment on the entire market are CDJ-2000s, and M3Ds, and those two units are only sold to clubs. The rest of the high end market, and the rest of the market in general, is only patronized at bedroom DJs. No professional ever uses anything else but the club's equipment, and never owns any hardware themselves.
    I did say they take some hardware, but not CDJ's and a mixer in coffin cases like you said.
    And yeah most pro's do use the club's equipement.

C'mon, seriously? There's an entire subculture of DJs who gig on their own stuff. Especially when that stuff is portable. It just so happens that their own stuff is typically a DVS with the hardware just being a point of control, or high end hardware in itself.
    Really, an entire subculture?

It's not their own gear if they are using the clubs deck's and mixer with their dvs is it...
    SC | MC

Edited my post slightly, might want to reread.

Ok for the many DJ's who take their own CDj2000's and mixer to a gig it could be useful
    SC | MC

Agree somewhat but you are just talking about interference from other devices.
    You can run it at 5GHz which would help as most phones (which is what you are talking about I guess) run 2.4...
    And of course it makes a difference how close you are to the AP, its called physical interference - radio waves degrade over distance.
    the link that the op gave says it only operates on the 2.4 band so i'm not sure where you saw that info about it running on 5ghz (which is currently less prone to interference).

and no it doesn't make a difference how close you are to the ap because what i'm talking about has nothing to do with physical interference. a 2.4ghz wifi camera or microwave are not causing physical interference they're causing electromagnetic interference. that interference can be strong enough to cut your connection to an ap even if you are inches away from it.

I don't see whay anyone would want to do that - the only advantage I can see is having your playlists on an iPad compared to scrolling through lists on the device via USB.
    just because you don't see why anyone would do that doesn't mean they won't. i could see why someone would get this and bring it to bar gigs or small clubs and play off usb sticks. the venue may only have turntables or older cdjs that you may not want to use. i still think using the wifi would be a bit risky, i wouldn't take my chances with it, but there are probably people who would.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Ok for the many DJ's who take their own CDj2000's and mixer to a gig it could be useful
    Or take a laptop and controller, or have to deal with the shit equipment most smaller clubs have installed, or don't have any kind of rider or expected gear at all, or supply their own gigs. There's a ton of DJs who don't have residencies in upscale clubs, but still get paid to spin.

This unit doesn't compete with high end install equipment, except maybe in portability. What it does do is make it exponentially easier to travel, gig, and play vs a controller and laptop. Last time I checked, the majority of the market wasn't dominated by CDJs. The club install market maybe, but more controllers are being moved than CDJ-2000s, if for sheer price point alone.

Not every person has the $3-5k to drop on an integrated solution, and neither does every venue or company. This unit serves the needs of both of them simultaneously, and could get close to the metaphorical holy grail of an industry standard controller.

Ah yeah didn't read that - why did they make it 802.11n and then limit it to 2.4GHz, weird..

Microwaves and wifi cameras could be a problem agreed.
    But they would have to be close by as well for it to be a real problem.

The main issue would be all the flourecent lighting and wiring.

I am agreeing with you, wifi in the club is a bad idea just because it could drop for whatever reason, including interference, but I think it's unlikely when the access point and device are side by side.
    SC | MC

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast