Pioneer XDJ Aero! - Page 8
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by guiltyblade View Post
    I'm not really sure why everyone is getting all up in arms about the wifi? You create an ad hoc network and hook to it. Its not like freaking starbucks wi-fi. How many people have we seen play out with Ipads already using Touch-ocs over an ad-hoc network on huge massive gigs? The technology is there and its proven to be fairly stable. Lemur does the same thing, over wi-fi, sending signals to control music. I mean a ton of major artist use that and trust wi-fi ad hoc networks.
    Same situation - I could run a number of utilities on a ad-hoc network and de-auth the stations and do all kinds of other damage.

Banned

I'm not really sure why everyone is getting all up in arms about the wifi? You create an ad hoc network and hook to it. Its not like freaking starbucks wi-fi. How many people have we seen play out with Ipads already using Touch-ocs over an ad-hoc network on huge massive gigs? The technology is there and its proven to be fairly stable. Lemur does the same thing, over wi-fi, sending signals to control music. I mean a ton of major artist use that and trust wi-fi ad hoc networks.
    I've honestly been wondering why there HAVEN'T been any well-known cases of wireless controllers being tampered with. it's DEFINITELY possible, and not that difficult. Also, it's said that the music will be STREAMED, not pushed. If there's momentary interference for a control surface, nothing terrible happens. if there's momentary interference of a steam, EVERYTHING stops. No matter what kind of buffer they try to put on it, this is still an issue.

Wifi is a TERRIBLE idea for DJing on a large scale in general, IMO. When you're on stage for thousands of people, on a rider which lets you request whatever you want, not having to plug in a cable or two is NOT worth the inherent risk of failure.

If they were really intent on doing wireless, they should have put a large hard drive in it, and just made it work on a file sync system. It would have accomplished the same goals, for not much more money, and without the horrible risk.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    I've honestly been wondering why there HAVEN'T been any well-known cases of wireless controllers being tampered with. it's DEFINITELY possible, and not that difficult. Also, it's said that the music will be STREAMED, not pushed. If there's momentary interference for a control surface, nothing terrible happens. if there's momentary interference of a steam, EVERYTHING stops, no matter what kind of buffer they put on it, this is still an issue.

Wifi is a TERRIBLE idea for DJing on a large scale in general, IMO. When you're on stage for thousands of people, on a rider which lets you request whatever you want, not having to plug in a cable or two is NOT worth the inherent risk of failure.
    Yep, very well said and relays my concerns with Wifi usage during live DJ sets. It would be fine for bedroom DJs.

Tech Mentor

but you are using touch midi to control lets say serato, if you do lose the network for a quick second it doesnt effect the audio, just the control, serato will still play fine if the wireless goes down, with the AERO controller, the audio is streaming wirelessly so if the wireless does blip for a second or 2, you lose the audio, not a good idea

Tech Wizard

For one knowone would use this at a big event its meant for personal use, if you use it out, use usb. Not a big deal, the wi-fi is for certain situations.

Secondly most clubs are full of drunk partiers, not hacking nerds with a vendetta to ruin the party lol. If they do, switch to usb problem solved.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by verko View Post
    For one knowone would use this at a big event its meant for personal use, if you use it out, use usb. Not a big deal, the wi-fi is for certain situations.
    Exactly - if you aren't comfortable you have the option of plugging into usb instead

Secondly most clubs are full of drunk partiers, not hacking nerds with a vendetta to ruin the party lol. If they do, switch to usb problem solved.
    It takes a particular setup (Wireless cards that allow packet injection if I remember right) to crack the network in the first place, plus a reasonably powered laptop (not a phone or tablet) and a fair bit of know how to do this correctly.

Seriously do you think theres gonna be that many white flower Vans parked outside venues with 3 or 4 nerds inside trying to De-Auth and Fuck up a DJ's set ?

If you think there will be - use the USB port instead.

Yeah, as a CDJ user, it's the USB slot that's really interesting. The wireless is a cool proof of concept, but not an instant professional standard.

I'm still not seeing quite how this could be implemented in a high end setup yet... The high end players and mixers already network, is wireless really that much of an improvement? And I'm still laughing at people who're calling a media free CDJ: the cue points saved on the very first CDJ-1000 still loads on a brand new CDJ-2000, and the entire cue/loop system works fundamentally the same. Why would they seriously drop the media on their flagship player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Exactly - if you aren't comfortable you have the option of plugging into usb instead

It takes a particular setup (Wireless cards that allow packet injection if I remember right) to crack the network in the first place, plus a reasonably powered laptop (not a phone or tablet) and a fair bit of know how to do this correctly.

Seriously do you think theres gonna be that many white flower Vans parked outside venues with 3 or 4 nerds inside trying to De-Auth and Fuck up a DJ's set ?

If you think there will be - use the USB port instead.

Completely false, this could be done with a phone just as easily as a laptop. And we were mostly talking about large events... Top-tier stuff. Wireless would be fine for low-end stuff, but there is still that risk of someone specifically just wanting to fuck with you.... Why not just plug in a goddamn cable?

This supports my summation that the wireless is a gimmick for newbies, and the rest of it is intended as a backup system for CDJ2000 rekordbox guys, who aren't at a point yet where all of their events will have CDJs 2000's set up for them.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

And I'm still laughing at people who're calling a media free CDJ: the cue points saved on the very first CDJ-1000 still loads on a brand new CDJ-2000, and the entire cue/loop system works fundamentally the same. Why would they seriously drop the media on their flagship player.
    It would take a company with the clout in the industry like Pioneer for CD's to be dropped from players, but mark my words I believe that day is coming.

I only know a handful of DJ's who use the CD drive for anything more than either timecode or USB/MP3 anyhow - if they had the option of leaving their laptop off the stage i think they would relish it.

Completely false, this could be done with a phone just as easily as a laptop.
    Please enlighten me ...

Why not just plug in a goddamn cable?
    Exaclty the option is there, for fucking around in a hotel room, on the throne, or in the studio though less wires is better IMHO.
    Last edited by deevey; 08-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    I've honestly been wondering why there HAVEN'T been any well-known cases of wireless controllers being tampered with. it's DEFINITELY possible, and not that difficult. Also, it's said that the music will be STREAMED, not pushed. If there's momentary interference for a control surface, nothing terrible happens. if there's momentary interference of a steam, EVERYTHING stops. No matter what kind of buffer they try to put on it, this is still an issue.

If they were really intent on doing wireless, they should have put a large hard drive in it, and just made it work on a file sync system. It would have accomplished the same goals, for not much more money, and without the horrible risk.
    The same can be said about these guys like hawtin and whatever using ipads to sync up and play, if the ad hoc get screwed with someone could literally do anything and control the set.

I'm not saying wifi is a great idea, but it isn't terrible either. Its been being used for sometime now, it just so happens someone wants to stream that music now too.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast