Can I record my vinyl sets with my internal soundcard (Korg Zero 4)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I record my vinyl sets with my internal soundcard (Korg Zero 4)

So I was watching TV and I saw a hard dnb set, I immediately fell in love with the genre again. It's been months since I played dnb.

And was real pumped and did an hour long set with all my HARD dnb records.
    It was amazing. Best improv ever.

But is there a way to record that set ?

Please note:
    -The mixer has a record out, but it's currently in use, I hook up my speakers with RCAs instead of XLR.
    -The mixer is digital and I can hook it up to a laptop with FireWire (Audacity perhaps ?)

I guess the only way is to buy one of those soundcards specificly made for this, but I don't want to spend the money.
    I've seen some routings but that is for traktor scratch setups...

cant you just buy a aux to headphone cable and plug into record or one of the outs and into the line in in on your computer???

this is how i record my mixes off my mixer.

EDIT**
    nevermind i just reread your post. maybe utilize the xlrs for your speakers and the record for the line in.

Last edited by Eliot Han; 08-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

I have a 13 inch MBP. It has no audio in port like the 15 & 17 inch models. Or does that mean that I have one port that works both ways ? I don't know.

And my speakers don't support XLR or anything else for that matter. Perhaps it's time for an upgrade in that department.
    And once the audio reaches your laptop then what ? Audacity ?

But actually I was really hoping I could work something out with the FireWire.

Tech Wizard

The 13 in. macbooks headphone port works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Byrd2593 View Post
    The 13 in. macbooks headphone port works both ways.
    I thought so, but thanks for the confirmation anyways.

audacity for line in ... how are your speakers setup???

if they utilize rca, you can get an xlr to rca cable to plug into the back of your mixer to your speakers freeing up the record for recording.
    Last edited by Eliot Han; 08-09-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Mixer > RCA to mini jack cable > speakers

I have shit speakers. They sound well but lack of any professional connections is a pain in the ass.

I guess it's an XLR to mini jack cable for me then.
    Or I'll download Audacity right now and give the FireWire a try. You never know.

In audacity I can select the Zero 4 as an input source when hooked up with FireWire.
    But the recordings are empty. Input VU-meters are showing nothing. Input volume in the software is at max level.

Now what ?

EDIT: FAQ was also not helpful
    Last edited by MyUsername; 08-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.

... sorry, cant quite understand what is going on here. what kind of mixer do you have? when you say using the digital on your mixer what does that mean? from my understanding, digital mixing (midi mode) would utilize the internal mixing on a dj program vs external mode, the analogue way of channeling in your decks on multiple sound outs. if you are trying to record you spinning vinyl, you would have to record by utilizing the record out or the speaker out on your mixer. digital will only record whats being mixed internally.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    ... sorry, cant quite understand what is going on here. what kind of mixer do you have? when you say using the digital on your mixer what does that mean? from my understanding, digital mixing (midi mode) would utilize the internal mixing on a dj program vs external mode, the analogue way of channeling in your decks on multiple sound outs. if you are trying to record you spinning vinyl, you would have to record by utilizing the record out or the speaker out on your mixer. digital will only record whats being mixed internally.
    Let me clarify then:

The mixer I have is a Korg Zero 4 (I think I mentioned that a few times) and I thought that digital is not necessarily MIDI (yes it can send MIDI, but that 's not relevant here)

I doubled checked and it can serve as a MIDI interface but also as an Audio interface it says in the manual that it can send the signal of an input source (TT or whatever) or the mixed signals to your computer.

ALSO NOTE: I did this vinyl set without any software, I never mixed in traktor or anything. You might have thought I was doing it in traktor. At least that's what I got from your last post.

Does this give you a better idea of the situation ? I really hope I can work this out. I thought I had it when Audacity recognized the mixer but no...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast