Birth of a DJ/Producer

Default Birth of a DJ/Producer

Hello everyone at DJ Techtools!

I recently stumbled on DJTT and it's by far the best site ever!

I've got something of a problem, that I thought maybe just you guys could have the answer!

Since my early teens I had dreams of becoming something in music. At the age of 13 I badly wanted to become a turntablist, but nor I or my family had the money to afford me 100000 vinyl’s and two turntables and a mixer, so I gave that up! Later on came the rock star dreams, which have made me play guitar and bass guitar for a quite while (which I still do), but now I've gotten older I just lost my faith in rock and roll this time around.

However now that I'm about to turn 20, I've got the money to support my music dreams.

I simply want to DJ, but I think it's important to progress and not lean to much backwards and that's where Digital DJ'ing steps in!

I listen to almost every type of music, from Beatles, Wu-tang to Mr.Ozio and inspired of all of it. And my main goals is to become a DJ and a music producer. But the thing is, I don't have a clue where to begin this epic journey. I been researching my options and DJTT community seems to have both of those things down. Seeing how most people here uses Traktor and/or Ableton.

I'm not used to make music with a computer, but for me it's the future. I'm completly new to this, but I've got the youthful adrenaline and desire to make this my ambition. I just want some pointers to where to go. I What to buy and not to buy, how to learn Ableton and so on.

I'm so sorry if this post is quite cloudy, and I'm sorry for my bad english. But I hope you guys understand, and can help me out.
    Last edited by ElectricDynamite; 06-15-2009 at 10:33 AM.

there are a lot of good FAQs on the website that can answer a lot of the basic questions a lot of people have when they first start out. my advice for music production is to get a good MIDI keyboard. that, along with some good software (logic, reason, ableton, etc) and hard work, will do the job to get you going.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

for djing get : TRAKTOR

for producing get : ABLETON

learn those and you'll be on your way to being a super rockstar dj ladys man.

Tech Guru

Hey man it's great to hear, i'm your age and I've been learning for about 7 months now. It's one of the biggest learning curves but its the most challenging fun i've ever had learning something. If there is one thing I can suggest. If you get into Traktor learn to beatmatch by ear. I made the mistake of using the sync function right off the bat and it resulted in very limited mixing skills. I'm getting better and better at beatmatching by ear and I can tell it will take me places that just using sync couldn't

hi all am new to this and am thinking of get a bcd3000 to used tell i make some money to buy a vci100 is the bcd3000 aney good for traktor 3

Quote Originally Posted by telley View Post
    hi all am new to this and am thinking of get a bcd3000 to used tell i make some money to buy a vci100 is the bcd3000 aney good for traktor 3
    i'm doing exactly this. i have a bcd3k here and can recomend it for beginners to try it out. the bcd is a good controller, but personally i don't like it that much. will sell it soon and purchase a vci100.
    haven't used the bcd with T3, but i guess there are some good tks-mappings out there..

Thanks for all the answers so far, I really appreciate it!

I been goofing around with Ableton, and it's so fun but soo hard. I'm also wondering if, let's say I want to start mixing/DJ only with Ableton is the Akai APC 40 more than enough (I know about the other stuff, just asking about external controllers)?

I want to start to learn producing first, and then move on to DJ:ing, so I guess Traktor & vci1000 have to wait.