MP3 vs WAV.... Seriously?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default MP3 vs WAV.... Seriously?!

Hey everyone,

After a week of looking into this debate that seems to never end, I don't know what to do! WAV, or 320kbps MP3?

Of course WAV is better than 320 kbps mp3, but is the difference worth getting so worked up about?

I mean I'd love to have all WAV but there seems so many problems:
    Metadata sucks, and for me that's terrible.
    There stupidly expensive.
    You can't find all songs WAV.
    They take up a huge amount of space.

But then I don't want to purchase a load of 320 kpbs mp3's only to have to rebuy them all in a year because I need wavs...It's hard enough having to deal with the fact of purchasing a 'virtual' song and not getting a physical copy to do what I want with...

So guys, I'm not after a massive techy debate, just down to earth does it realllly matter at home/clubs/venues?

Thanks a lot everyone
    P

Tech Guru

Doesn't matter quality wise, at least not so much that it would be a problem for djing. (Maaaybe if you're talking sampling from tunes for production)

Personally i'd say wav then rip to flac for your metadata and to save space, i myself have a mixture of flac/320 mp3 with the majority being flac from my cd collection and the mp3s from when i couldnt find wavs.

Tech Mentor

big thread about this a few months ago that you can read here.....http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=51002

in the end....won't make a bit of difference, 320 mp3 is more than fine

wav isn't a great format. Use flac. It's a lossless form of compression which mean it has the audio perfection of wav but a much smaller file size and better metadata.

I think it's pretty shameful that companies still charge more for wav and flac. Whenever possible I try to avoid purchasing from companies who do this.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Take a 320 and WAV file and put them in a play list. After that, hold down the up or down arrow key for 5 seconds. Without looking, load that song, listen, and then load the next song and listen. Do this with a bunch of songs. If you overwhelmingly notice your mp3's to be of a lesser quality, you have your answer.
    I think it's bullshit at the end of the day. If you have a high end audiophile type listening station at home, it's one thing, but chances are that for playing out, there's only a handful of venues in your area of the country that even have a system capable of making the difference noticeable.

Sobi- if you can get either for the same price, which would you go for?

I could get them for the same price via Satelliterecords.com, and I get MP3.

And why is that?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Please continue the discussion on any of the multiple threads on the subject.

Default MP3 vs WAV continuation

Just starting this here since the mod locked the other thread, and logically, if they lock due to so many, why wouldn't that one get locked? Just saving time from searching...

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    And why is that?
    Because it saves space on my computer, and I can't notice any discernible difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast